do you know me?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is another iris that I saw in a garden and couldn't find the marker for. It is SO distinctive and unusual and I would love to find one. Does any body recognize it?

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

I dont know the name, but must say.. its STUNNING! just gorgeous..
I seem to be gearing more towards the orange, yellows, whites and pinks...
I really like that one, alot.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That is one of the most striking iris I've ever seen. I don't know what cultivar it is, but if you find out, I'd love to know so I can put it on my "gotta find" list. ;)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm going to guess that one might be 'Toucan Tango'.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/69676/

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yep, it does look like yours flowerfrenzy.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

TT was at the top of my suggestion list too.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, It does look like that one! Thank you.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Lilyfantn-
I think yours is much more pastel/sorbet colors.

What garden did you see this in? Does this garden owner know the name? Are they willing to sell, or swap with you?
-T

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Seedpicker! The owner is a friend of mine and I took this picture in her garden. She sells iris and daylilies locally and on the net and that is how I met her and became interested in growing them myself lol! I saw her yesterday while picking up some daylilies and asked her again about this iris. She agreed that while it does resemble TOUCAN TANGO it isn't that because TT is so new and she's owned this one longer than TT has been out. The person in her iris club who gave it to her doesn't know what it is either. I do plan on trading for some though because I do think its special. You have good eye seedpicker!

I think it is very special, too!, lol...tell her I'd love to trade with her, too! (*wink)

Actually, If she still has enough, after you trade with her, I'd love to buy some(you said she sell locally, so maybe she'd be willing to sell?). There are other daylily and iris on my wish list...maybe I could do a large order with her, if she is interested.

Although she probably doesn't have this one listed on the net, I'd love to browse her site and see what other iris and daylilies she offers...

This is my first year with iris. I always thought the foliage wasn't all that pretty, but then learned if you tuck them behind something else, all you see is the lovely flower. Now, that I figured that out, I'm interested!, lol...

-T

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, so that's your secret! What have you been planting in front of the iris?

Sandy

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I would buy one from her too!

Sandy-Mostly roses. The roses top out at about 3 ft. and the tall daylilies and iris about the same. If I keep my roses pruned and deadheaded, the iris, daylilies, and gladiolas pop up just above them Ü
I also plant lots of 'walkers low' catmint between the roses as a filler and then bulbs under that.
In front of the roses the catmint peers through and I also have the shorter daylilies and other low perennials.

How about you??

-T

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

lilyfantn, could this be Autumn Years? It changes appearance with every new bloom

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's another picture of the different colors in it

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh thanks so much! I'll send this along to Ingrid as I saw this one at her place. I'll have to remind her to sell me some too. :-)

Quoting:
sell me some too. :-)

she can sell me some, three!, lol...
-T

Hebron, KY

I also would love one of those 'tubers' next year please. Very beautiful!

Thanks!

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 1, 2006 3:43 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Lilyfan,

Could the orphan of your May 9 email be one of Brad Kasperaks? Think I might have spelt his name wrong. Just a thought.
inanda

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Lilyfantn,
I think your orphan is gorgeous! I don't think any of the possibilities have quite nailed it yet. I hope you figure it out. Would love to get some. ~~~ Carol

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the help everyone! I will pass this along to Ingrid and see what she thinks. It does look like one of Kaparek's inanda. Good suggestion! I know when we first discussed the possibilities last year, Ingrid mentioned that she has had it for a long time so it had to be older than some of the newer suggestions. I will find out more after the holidays lol!

Hooks, TX

I have this one called 'Afternoon Delight'. It has the same mix of colors but they are a little darker. Yours may get darker later on.

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hi Louise!

Hooks, TX

Hi! Louise !!!!
How's the oxalis coming aong??? Have you used it in your salads yet?
The flavor is a little tart but it picks up the dish a bit !!!!

If you are ever down this way, be sure to give me a call and we'll have lunch.

Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You got it Louise! The oxalis is doing great, no I won't eat it, I love the flowers!
Yes, I'll be sure and let you know if we get up that way, hope to someday. Can we stay at your house?!!?!?!?!?!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think it's Afternoon Delight. Orphan is softly shaded with speckles of the purple running through the upper and lower leaves. Afternoon Delight has softly shaded 'solid' colors only blending where the colors meet.

Hooks, TX

weegy,
My new downsized home is between both my daughters' homes. They have extra bedrooms and I'm sure we could accommodate a visitor of two !

Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

LOL, Louise! We would have our own accommodation's on wheels if we ever get there! Great setup between your daughter's wouldn't you say???!?

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Lilyfantn,
Have you figured out what the "orphan" is called yet? The more I look at Autumn Years, the more I think it could be it. Although I have not been able to locate Autumn Years on-line to obtain ANY information regarding it.
If your friend has some to divide I would like to get contact as a recipient, even if it doesn't find it's name. ~~~~ Carol

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Carol, I just got back home from a long gruelling Christmas trip up north visiting relatives. (lets just say I kissed the ground when we finally got back home lol) I have been gone since the 14th and haven't had time to check with my firend Ingrid yet. I will certainly e-mail her today or tomorrow to see what she thinks about the similarity and let you know. Thanks for reminding me! Its SO GOOD to get back to normal after the hectic holidays (hope I don't sound too much like the grinch :-{)

Susan

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Family may be 'priceless' (as the commercial says), but sometimes can sure drive us crazy.
Welcome home. ~~~ Carol

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wondering if it's Oasis Sunset, pictured below.

Thumbnail by cathysplants
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am growing Serengetti Spagetti and it looks different each bloom, but I don't think it is yours.

First bloom 2006

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Serengetti Spagetti last bloom of 2006

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I did a google search and found out that "Autumn Years" is available and described at Blue J Iris. See what you think at :
http://www.bluejiris.com/

Look in the alphabetical section under Au. It does look a lot like the one you sent the picture of. lilyfantn.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2007 11:05 AM

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Good probability. It does have a 1996 date so she can get an idea of the year she received it.

Wonder when I did a search it didn't find anything?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Did you use google? At the moment, I believe it is the best search engine. I just entered,

Iris "Autumn Years"

and it worked. What search engine did you use?

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought I used google. Of course there's always the possibility it may have been Mozilla.
I was just trying to get a date for Autumn Years to help with identification of orphan since it looks so much like it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.