3 more babies today

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I heard a baby chicken peeping loudly in the bird house and found a tiny black one out of the nest. The pigeons had been pecking on it but I applied room temp olive oil and it seems ok. Then I checked the nest and found 2 more, one still wet. So I took all 3 and brought them into the house. I found a small bird cage and put them in it and let them have the heater. The others no longer seem to need the heater. In fact, they act like they needed a fan so I turned on one for them and Sheldon bunny.

I think the reason the pigeons are being so aggressive is that there are now so many of them and more keep hatching weekly that they percieve the house to be overpopulated. If I could figure out pairs I would gladly get rid of many of the extras. I've tried several methods including trapping and spray painting mates but it is hard to catch them and mark them. They don't go into traps well. Pigeons mate for life so it is important to not split up a pair. I have done that a few times and it isn't fun to see one pineing away for its mate. Some have died of lonliness.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Leaflady, where are the pigeons roosting and nesting? Surely if you removed some of that space a number of those pairs would leave?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

They roost in the rafters of the bird house. I not only have our pigeons, but occasionally one will fly in from somewhere else and unless it is run off by ours it stays. There is always a battle when a new one shows up. I think I will have to start catching the new babies and getting rid of them before they leave the nest but are old enough to live on their own. But I would only have about a 24 - 48 hour window of time in which to do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.