Stapelia Madness

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

As God is my witness...I've been waiting for 20 years to get a stapelia to bloom. I got this one at a local nursery about 6 weeks ago and immediately transplanted it to a larger clay pot. It had two seed pods on it so I thought...alas...the blooming is over. Are you ready for this??? It has 10...count 'em TEN buds! I'm so excited that I'm a nervous wreck that something's going to happen to it. This is more exciting than the pregnant anthurium!

Thumbnail by NematanthusNut
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

This is the biggest of the buds. It was the first.

Thumbnail by NematanthusNut
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Aren't you excited!!! I just got my first this spring...it's in a 6" pot...hopefully I'll have buds at some point as well!!! You oughta post that over at the C & S forum - they'd love it!!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I am absolutely thrilled! Poor thing's probably tired of me staring at it.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

omgosh i cant wait to see the blooms-to cool
watching this thread!!! :)

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Me either! I can't believe there are so many. I didn't feed it or anything. I've ordered them in the past and they just didn't thrive. I'm not good with succulants generally. This is just sooooooooo exciting! Or...........maybe..................I need a life? Naaaa!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

No buds are most definately exciting life or no life!!! Those are such cool flowers when they bloom!!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Stay tuned!

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Don't feed it right now and only water it when the soil is just about dry. It can stand sun, but not a lot of deep shade. Get ready because it will attract flies if it is outside. I have mine in an old roasting pan with holes in the bottom because it spreads out so much. My hubby just came in and told me that mine looks like it is dying. I had to leave this message, get a flashlight and go out by the greenhouse to see what he was talking about. One piece of it is dying because it just got too much water and didn't dry out enough between rains. Good luck with yours. Know you will get great enjoyment out of the blossoms. Chantell, I will send you another piece.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Liz,
As I told you...I'm thrilled with anything you'd like to share!! More concerned about you, though!!
Chantell

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

This IS exciting!!
I'm usually all worked up about *ONE* bud, so can imagine your excitement with ten!

Keep those photos coming!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And after Liz's advice...my pot is going OUTside! :)

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

He's outside. It's so humid here and I put him under the patio when it looks like rain so he can't get too wet. He also gets full sun from sunup until around noon. I've turned more succulants than I care to admit to into mush since moving down here. I actually bought a moisture meter just for this guy so I can keep him on the dry side.

Hey, LC2S...I moved here from Memphis. Bolivar is a really pretty town with all of the hills and old houses! And the 'institution' is so beautiful. I love gothic architecture and it's a wonderful example. Memphis is so flat. I was really surprised at the landscape there. I was considering a job in Collierville and looked at houses in Bolivar. Ended up down here eventually though.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

My stapelia has had two buds on it forever. How long does it take these things to bloom?

Jesse

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Woooohooooo!!!! I'd be excited and going nuts to if I had one bud never mind ten! Keep us posted!!
:) Donna

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I asked that same question about how long on the cactus forum but I haven't gotten a reply yet. The buds don't seem to grow very fast though. I have a feeling this is going to take a while but when they finally pop....WOW!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Today's bud count is 16. I've posted on the C&S forum to see if this is normal behavior.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

waiting watcuing-giggling

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey N. Nut,
Anytime you'd like to share some of that baby...I'd be more then happy to help you out. :) Looking to expand...from the one I have. :)
Chantell

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

It's making new 'arms' too. Once this whole bizarre growth, bloom thing is over, I'll be glad to share. New little plants are coming up in the pot along with the original one. It had two seed pods when I got it. I'm sure some of the seeds planted themselves in the pot.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Are you taking pictures of these stages. When my large one starts to bloom the pods keep growing till you would think they will explode. We will look forward to pictures with baited breath.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

N. Nut,
Thank you so much...and yes, I meant to say after the blooming has finished. Please....post pics...can't wait to see them.
Chantell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.