My ladyslipper opened today-Gisela

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is Gisela. I have 2 more to go-Reginae and Ula Silkens. I also plan on walking out to the High Ledges tomorrow and taking some pics on the ladyslipper trail (cypripedium acaule).

Thumbnail by boojum

Another pic.

Thumbnail by boojum

Awww...one more.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Spectacular! The only hardy orchid I grow is Dactylorhiza praetermissa and it won't flower until mid July. Our BG has C. acaule, reginae and parviflorum but ours are just 3-5" high yet.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Lovely boojum,
You have to love those orchids that look after themselves.

Ken

Gotcha! Got lots of ladyslipper shots today-pink and yellow-from the High Ledges nearby. Pics later dudes.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ohhh, they are beautiful!!

We also visited the Cyp acaules this weekend. They are putting on a pretty display again this year. I am with boojum here - "Pics later dudes" :-)

Okay. Cypripedium acaule.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another.

Thumbnail by boojum

More.

Thumbnail by boojum

Cypripedium parviflorum.

Thumbnail by boojum

They are always open on Memorial Day. I've been going every year for many years.

Another yellow.

Thumbnail by boojum

Closeup.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's a large Jack in the Pulpit with my visiting from San Francisco daughter.

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

boojum,
thanks for sharing!
I am amazed at the density and size of your Cyp acaules, they look huge. Beautiful!!! They never look like that at our place, even in their individual stands they are much more scattered. And we don't have parviflorum growing on our place, so your pictures are a treat!
About the Gisela and Ula Silkens, did you plant them in your garden? Their names sound like cultivars.

I got as far as getting my Memorial Day pics onto my computer yesterday evening and then ran out of time....

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good Morning,
I uploaded my pics here, if you feel like taking a look.
http://www.kammlott.net/MemDay2006plants/
We have been taking a closer look at the color of our Cyp acaules, especially since we found last year a single white one, which came back this year. We have some very dark pinks, some light pinks, and this year we found a very pale flower. ( that one is a bit fuzzy, but you can see the light color.)
We always see some plants flowering at our access road, you really have to know where to look, or you would miss it. A single flower this year!
I did not take any special close ups this time, since I would probably flatten some of the vegetation around the plants in the process. And that invites Deer nibbling. (have plenty pictures at my website already) They will follow any path we create unintentionally for them.
(I will take my Lichen book out tonight and try to identify those.)

Ursula

Hi Ursula,
Nice pics-I have heard of albino ladyslippers before. Those lichens are very interesting.

Yes the named ladyslippers are hybrids in my garden. There was a couple in VT that started hybridizing about 15 years ago and they recently sold the business. Their hybrids are inspiring a whole group of growers. I bought some from my neighbor who grows wildflowers from seed and some from the New England Wildflower Society. It turned out that those are from my neighbor, too. I should have pics of Ula soon.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

boojum,
I am looking forwards to see Ula in bloom. These hybrids are just beautiful.

If I can be for a second a bit off topic? As part of this group at
http://www.kammlott.net/MemDay2006plants/
I was able to identify the Lichen as
Cladonia cervicornis ssp verticillata. That was the first time I found those particular ones.

And now for my Ula story:
I came home from work 2 days ago and just happened to glance at Ula near the front entrance. SHE HAD FAINTED! Her bud was on the ground and her stem was draped, leaves all wilted, across her marker so she looked just like a dying lady. I was too traumatized to take a pic. I, of course, freaked!! Ran inside and poured lots of water on her feet and today she looked happy as a clam and she might even be open (I'm at work so I can't be sure). A close call, fer sher!

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Kathy, Ursula; are either of you familiar with this place? It looks like an interesting spot.

http://www.innweston.com/greenhouse.html

Ken

New to me.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ken, I have come across this site numerous times during searches. It is beautiful.
It sure looks like a nice place to stay for a while.

Ula opened today.

Thumbnail by boojum

She's a keeper even if she faints!

Thumbnail by boojum
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I've heard about those fainting spells.....lol.

Holy smokes, what a thread!

boojum, thank you so much for sharing these pics and your natives as well. RUK, that lichen is a dandy and your pics are as beautiful as ever.

It's been a bleak couple of weeks for us in the greenhouse as the weather has been over 100 for four straight days now and I seem to be misting too often as things are just soaked. Evaporative cooler konked out yesterday so I had to get a new one.....did anyone say "extended warranty"?...lol. I'm a moron...

Looks like Lycaste aromatica will be next for me and Brassovola nodosa/um. Going to be fragrant.

boojum, what a complete joy it must be to have all of those terrestrials right there for the enjoyment. You guys sure do get paid back for suffering through the cold winters with cool stuff in spring and summer. Thanks so much for sharing those pics and I do hope there are more to come.

best to you,
don

Hi Don, been missing you. We hafta put up with quite a bit of weather but spring and early summer more than make up for the winter. Winter? What's winter? As always, the human brain can remember there was pain, but it can't totally remember it-or we would all go nutz! Here's Shelburne Falls and the famous bridge of flowers. I got the ultimate compliment on Memorial Day from my daughter's co-worker from San Francisco. After touring my garden and then going to the Bridge of Flowers, she turned to me and said, "Your garden is much better!"

Thumbnail by boojum

I have one more ladyslipper to go at the house-reginae.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

boojum, Ula is special!! She is gorgeous!
Don, it got to be tough to keep the temps down in your area.
I have moved the Orchids and a lot of other stuff again into the cage and most of the C&S are on the deck or in front of the house. After a nice warm spell around here it is barely making it into the seventies right now, it is downright chilly in the morning at 58 degr F!
How did your Bletillas work out?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pics, I have the yellow/brown one.just finished blooming here

Oops. Just noticed I've been spelling Ulla with one L instead of the actual two.
Reginae has opened. Here she is with Ulla.

Thumbnail by boojum

And alone.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another. I can see these beauties right out of the front door!

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful!!

Btw Ulla is the diminutive of Ursula.

How neat. I will think of you whenever Ulla blooms, Ursula! Does anyone call you Ulla?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I grew up with that name. My brother's family still calls me that.

Can I call you that or do you prefer Ursula?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

No, I do prefer Ursula. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.