Keeping My Fingers Crossed...

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

I planted one of these Aureums several years back and lost it :( But I was determined to try again.

Just planted this one this year after dragging it around in a pot for two years. I think I found the place it was most happy and have my fingers crossed this time. Worked really hard to get it into the ground "just so." I plan to cut off those small bottom "sprouts" (limb up in other words), but I am going to wait until either late Fall or early Spring to do so. I don't want to add any stress WHATSOEVER right now.

Isn't she pretty?

Thumbnail by irmaly
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are a very brave person and that is a very beautiful tree. Stunning. What a nice find. I'll be thinking of you and your tree. I know that they are hard to grow.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

would that be brave or "dumb," doss!! LOL!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have aureum...I find it tougher than most JM. Never a bit of die-back while many JM can show at least a little die-back. Personally, I'd trim those low stems now to direct energy into the top growth. In fact, maples should not be pruned in early spring as that is when they bleed the most. Pruning AFTER the spring flush is the recommended method.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Todd, for your advice. I keep looking at those low stems and thinking of running for the clippers. Now where'd I put them....

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I just trimmed some little leaves off mine today too. It looks much better.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I would never call any gardener trying a new plant dumb. It's all genius.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I have never heard of Aureums being hard to grow ( I don't have one but have read up on 'em)...Todd is correct they should be hardier than many JM's ...your original might have had a sistemic problem or there was something in the soil ...HOPEFULLY you DID'NT plant the new one in the same spot ...I have found 9 out of 10 times the same fait will follow...once I have a tree die of any type I NOW never plant there again ...I have learned this from having made THAT mistake many times and lost multiple trees til my pea sized brain finnally figured out that doing this is STUPID!!! BTW that is one beautiful tree it must have been expensive so wish you the best ...david

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Yes, David. I have racked my brain over what might have caused the first Aureum to die. I finally settled that there was either something in the soil there OR I planted it too deep. Regardless, I not only dug it up and burned it, but I also have not tried another tree in that location. I have simply let the flox take that area over.

I considered this tree a real bargain at $125. I got it locally from a small wholesale nursery here where the women who run it are personal friends of mine. They both have a good eye. They don't really specialize in JMs, but they know to buy interesting ones when they come along. They had managed to get their hands on two of these. They kept one and sold me the other. I also bought from this this year a really nice Orange Dream--small but not tiny. AND I GOT IT FOR $35!! I have it in a pot and will try to post a picture of it later.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

"YOU smart cookie "....It's nice to hear others are aware of the bad idea of the replanting phenomena ( same spot!!) yah a real good price for that size of AU. I have wanted to get one but all I have seen are tiny and I DON'T want to take the chance of planting a really small one they are VERY popular like orange dreams and thats why ya don't see big ones of those two varietis generally available !!! they get snapped up!! ...I have NOT had luck with small JM's ...the ONLY ones I have EVER lost have been small ...maybe a coincidence ...maybe NOT...and I think I just think they are usually over priced for the "stick size" and often new and "unproven 1st year grafts and I don't like getting ripped off or take a chance on a tree graft that is a newbie ...I'd rather pay morer for a larger tree that I can gander at what it "really looks like and know it has at least lived a certain mountt of time ...well enough of this monday morn holliday meandering post ...have a good one all ...david ...

OH here are the last four I just got really cool stuff ..they are small...but at least 4-5 years old ..small is ok with smaller stuff aka dwarfs ;>)
koto ito komache... small version of koto no ito some say reverts we shall see!!
oregon fern...really NEAT vertrees plant I think!!
shojo shidare...old variety couldn't pass up ...nice size
sharps pygmy DITTO COOL!!!
ojishi...rare and interesting columbur shaped really dark green slow grower!!! I have NOTHING like it couldn't pass up

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Irmaly, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you & your lovely Aureum. I'm new to the dragging pots around/looking for a place to plant biz, I'm now up to 4 beautiful plants in pots (from Della)-I do have 3 in the ground , so I'm not a total lost cause, but I really wish I could settle on places for these plants-they deserve a permanent, in-ground spot, my goal is to have them happily planted out by early fall. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep everything watered, while I perambulate them...Linda, who loves to see everyone's maples...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.