Thumbnail by skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't want to lose them.

Thumbnail by skaz421

Please give me advice?

Thumbnail by skaz421
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

skaz, I just read another tread here in the canna forum and there was a google link for leafrollers and the damage they make. on one of your leaves you seam to have some holes that leafrollers do. BUT I am not an expert so maybe there is another problem.
Here is the google
http://images.google.com/images?q=canna%20leaf%20roller&hl=en&btnG=Search%20Images

And here is the tread where they say what to do and use
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/586364/
Hope this helps
Janett

Janett,

Thanks for your input. I looked all over the plants for varmints, since I heard so much about leaf rollers, but I didn't find any - not one.

Maybe I'll treat the plants for leaf rollers, anyway - it can't hurt.

Steve

Louisville, KY

7 dust should work it is a leaf roller. It will be in the center leaf down deep eating on the leaves before it even comes out. It is usually a bright green worm I somtimes just squeeze the mid leaf till I get it. you can usually tell if you look close enough. You can really tell its one when you open up a new leaf and it has small things of poo all over it were it has been eating nasty pest they are.

Brian,

Thanks, I'll get some Sevin right away.

Steve

I had some Ortho Bug B Gone spray from last year.

I got on Ortho's web site, and they listed Leaf Rollers as one of the insects that Bug B Gone would kill.

I sprayed down all of my Cannas. Where there was a rolled-up leaf, I un-rolled it, sprayed the leaf and the varmint, and watched it drop to the ground and writhe until it died.

If I missed any, I'll get it tomorrow. I'm going to check my Cannas every day, from now on.

Steve

Brian,

They are everywhere.

Can I get rid of them by cutting off the infected leaves? They look dead, anyways.

Steve

They don't just live in Cannas - found some in a Black Magic EE, too.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That is most definitly Leaf Roller. You can see the stitching in your first picture .. I took the liberty of downloading your picture and enlarging the stitching.

Here is what you can do, put some insecticide in a spray bottle and get a sharp exacto knife or reasonable facsimile. When you do your walkabouts and counting heads, spray a some insecticide in all the new unfurling leaves. Look them over and if you see any stitching, use the exacto knife to cut the threads. Or, just look for the stitching, cut off the affected leaf, stomp on it a few times and throw it in a covered garbage can.

Thats what I do and it works for me.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

X-

I already did exactly that - I had several cannas, plus the EE, that were stitched up.

I'll definitely watch more closey for it, now that I know what it is. I hate those things

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.