transplanting oregon grape

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I transplanted 2 oregon grape plants (mahonia aquifolium) about a month ago. They were about 3 feet tall and had been getting too large for the location I had them in. I watered them really well and didn't let them dry out, but they are both looking pretty bad...browning and reddish leaves. Was I supposed to prune them way back? Do they take after being moved? Is this a futile effort and I should just take them out and put something else in? Any information apreciated. thanks.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't know anything about them except that the one a neighbor gave me and planted for me last fall didn't make it over winter. I wasn't particularly fond of it anyway but didn't want to offend him.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

If you really like it, I'd give it a year. sometimes they never really look that great the first season and it takes until the following year for them to recover.

Gwen

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I collect them here in montana and place them in my natural woodland. I use a long spade shovel that I have flattened and cut a 3 to 4' circle, 4" deep under the group of small plants (8-10" tall). Then I lay them in the new area with soaked peat moss 2 parts and 1 part native soil. Then I keep soakers on them for the dry time the first year then they do pretty good. Ours here don't get as big as they do over in the rain forest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.