Hi! I'm New

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm in Hanover, IN, just down the road from Madison, IN (home of the Madison Regatta.) I have gardened in Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Evansville,IN. I spent two years in Mobile, AL and had to learn an entire new way of gardening and an entire new vocabulary of plants. For example, "If you don't get your tomatoes in by March 1st, it will get too hot for you to get in a crop." I'm a lover of English cottage gardens, and it was a challenge doing that with the semi-tropicals.

I'm putting in an English cottage garden and a small vegetable garden now. The soil is a horrible clay, and I spent all last summer having someone dig it up and mix in organics. Now it is finally ready to plant (almost.) I have boxes of plants from Graceful Gardens and Bluestone Perennials, tons of plants from local nurseries, and pots of perennials I move with me from house to house when I move. Finally its stopped raining and I can get out there and work (and work, and work...)

Julie

Barboursville, WV(Zone 6a)

Hello Julie! I'm new too..I'm in west virginia

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Also home to Hanover College (neighbor's kid in school there) and not far from Clifty Falls State Park! My one leisurely trip through the region (fall 1985) was quite enjoyable.

Welcome to the Ohio River valley and all its gardening challenges and rewards, though with Evansville in your past you kind of know what you're in for.

Hanover College is on the next hill over from me. We are both on high rock cliffs overlooking the Ohio River. There is a huge "canyon" between my backyard and the campus. It has just quieted down over there. For the last month of school, they've been playing music late into the night. I'm a night person, and many nights I've gone to sleep at 2:00 AM, with my window open, listening to their distant pulsating beat. I don't mind; I even enjoy it. It makes me feel young, and fills in a part of the "college experience" I think was missing at Johns Hopkins (way too serious) many years ago.

Julie

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome Julie...Im fairly new to the forum also..

My Hubby and I are getting ready to do a reverse Sr Citizens move from Florida to Ohio..
I spent most of the day yesterday online, following links from here to online nurseries looking at all the wonderful goodies that I can have when I get up there..Like my Beloved Peonies that absolutely will not tolerate this burning sun down here...Im looking forward to my first RoundUp when I get there, and meeting everyone that has been so kind to me here, and getting in trouble with Marcy_1 shopping for plants... LOL

Dusty

Athens, OH

Hello and welcome.
Best of luck with the clay and the garden.
ROX

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

jkhyland, welcome. I am in Ky., but officially Ohio River Valley. Glad that you could join this forum. Tell us something about yourself and your interests.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome glad you can join us... Looking forward to hearing your stories of before & after.... ORV...

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Hey there, I'm from Fairmont WV, about 90 miles due south of Pittsburgh. I too have hideous clay soil. Some days I think I should forget about gardening and just make pots out of the stuff in my yard. :) I'm relatively new to both DG and gardening in general and have been learning LOTS here! :)

pam

Reynoldsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome all to the fold.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! It's another miserable day for gardening - wet and muddy. I haven't ventured outside yet, but yesterday was just COLD. I have plants lined up in my driveway (lots and lots of plants) that need to be planted, and can't get enough time to get the garden beds ready for planting.They were de-sodded and dug up last year, with a fair amount of peat moss and compost added. I want to till in the leaves that have fallen, mix the compost in better, and loosen up the soil. I bought a Mantis tiller, but haven't used it yet. (OK, I'm afraid. I've never even started a lawnmower before.) The soil I'm "creating" must be fertile. The side of the garden that was "finished" had enormous weed coverage, while the side that the "landscaper" did a 3rd rate job on, and I have to finish, had barely any weeds.
Well, I guess I really need to get dressed in my mud clothes and see what I can do out there. My goal was to get the vegetables in today. Better go do it.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.