Cardinal Climber from seeds

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I read some where that when growing cardinal climbers from seeds, its a good idea to snip the buds that sprouts after the seedling is about 3inches to 6 inches for strong roots. Is this true.Should I do this to my seedlings

Thanks

Tweety12

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I never have, and mine do fine. Don't think it would hurt anything to try it on a couple and just see if it makes a difference...you never know.

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Melody. Thats a good idea.

Since this is my first time with seeds i do have some more questions. Now that the seeds have sprouted and are about 6 inches tall with two leaves like wings on each side.

When do I sow them in the ground?
Do they become a plant after this stage in the peat container?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks once again

Tweety

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Oops...sorry I lost track of this thread...

You should be able to put them in the ground by now if you already haven't. The two leaves that appeared first are called cotyledons or 'nurse leaves' They will nourish your baby plants till they develop a root system. Then they will usually wither and fall off. The next set of leaves are called 'true leaves' and will look like regular, mature leaves on the plant. Anytime after the second set appears, you can transplant.

If you are using peat pots, make sure that the whole pot is buried...if you need to, tear off the rim down to the siol line. Anything standing above the ground will wick water away from the roots. I usually tear out the bottom of a peat pot too, but your plants won't die if you don't.

sorry, I lost track of this....

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Melody. Its okay.

I transplanted the plants with the peat pot and yes buried all the way. They are still alive Thank God for that. Though i have to say they have not grown any much more and have as a matter of fact fallen doen and are all diognal instead of straight.
Been watering them lightly ( pressure) and was planing to make cotton thread support along the fence to make them grow straight on them for support. Hope it works and they catch root.

:):) Tweety

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Tweety, They will start slow.
I had some that I thought would nevr get over 3 ft. tall
They ended going over the 9 ft. cedar arbor and climbed into the row of Cedar trees ,I swear they got to be 25 or 30 feet in the air. I had alot of hummingbirds that year.Everyone that walked by wanted to know how I got the trees to have flowers LOL Aleta

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

That sounds like fun Dolly. Must be a sight. I would love mine to become like that with all thoes red flowers......:):)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, the Cardinal Climber and assorted relatives are slow on the 'take off' but will pick up steam and run away from you...may seem like forever, but they'll get going shortly.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Melody! My cardinal vine is real lacy and reseeds it self, so I have plenty to transplant every year, Mine like it a little dry. There is another cardinal vine that has more like leaves which I think you are talking about. I have not tried that one yet. Mine will cover what ever you put it on in one month in a good year but this year they did not do so good,weather I guess. Also the floweres on the second vine are a little bigger. Bev Oh! I know the name of the bigger is the cyprus vine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.