A horse to make you cry...

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I usually wear my blinders when I go out to the DOA impound barn. I've been feeding "Arthur" now for a few months. He came in the very epitomy of equine neglect-he could have been used as a classroom display for an equine orthopedic class- except for the show clip. Every single vertebrae was visable. A total 1.

TOday he followed me around as I did my duties filling the trough, mucking, etc. He gave me a nudge and I mindlessly bagan to scratch him a bit. My hand came away with more than a little fur. It was a fist full of hair and I could not do anything but turn from the wad to look him in the big, round, huge(never noticed that before) eyes of his....Then something broke inside me.

A rage of anger first hit me that such a fine, dignified, well-mannered horse was HERE.....well-most of them are pretty decent after all....Even *if* no one saw fit to feed them.

So what? So a used up old horse winds up at the impound?

Outraged, and of course the single, solitary, person there (not too many volunteers believe it or not) I get a bucket of grooming items and go to town. No halter, no cross-ties. Just he and I in the middle of a paddock with his wild beeyotch of a mustang paddock mate looking on incredulously as I curried layer after layer of fur and dirt. He stood, greatfully motionless except to occasionally turn and look at me, or lean a little as if to say, "right there, just a little more please".....

I am still trying to steel myself.

So a soft brush on the face, move the forelock, and my God! I just burst into tears! The most gorgeous, dry, amazingly chiseled face of a well bred arabian was under there! I lost it. Most every horse out there had been SOMEONE's horse!!!!!!!!!!! I will never forget and may not *now* be able to return with my armor on to sheild me.....

This message was edited May 27, 2006 7:08 PM

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!