The heat, and watering goof

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought I was so smart, putting mini impatiens, double impatiens and regular impatiens in containers together, but the cute little planters haven't stayed so cute. I've been watering them twice a day (hey, Walter Reeves says it's okay in the heat), and they still have been wilty. They only get 10 minutes of direct sun, maybe twice a day, as we have high dappled shade. So, I decided to repot them, and put the most prone to wilt on the front porch where there is NO sun. Of course, I watered them this morning to ease them from the shock of transplant, and waited an hour before starting to repot. Surprise--water only in top few inches of soil--bottom of pots DRY as a bone! I have a tendency to overwater, and didn't want to give the darlings too much water. Hmmm. So, I watered them in, using enough water to see it start coming out drainage holes. Walla--no wilting today at all. I should know better, and thought maybe I wasn't the only one needing a reminder.

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

All I know is mother nature better start working because this dryness is ruining my lawn and about to put water restrictions in my city. If I wanted to live in arizona I would probably expect this, but they're actually getting rain there!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, what's up? Heck, even North Georgia's getting storms more than we are down here. I would pay obesiance to the appropriate rain gods, if only I knew how. (smiles) Sheila

We haven't gotten rain in central georgia(more than an hour) for a little over 2 weeks. The pinestraw is not helping much at this point since the soil beneath it is starting to dry out quickly. The perfect weather for the rest of the summer would be if it rained about every 3 days. But that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon. :shakes head:

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, and I'm about to go out there to garden in the hot, like a fool. Am in Jonesboro, which is just shy of central Georgia. No rain here since a trace amount on the 18th. We have a shade garden (mostly) but still, it's soooo hot. Next weekend we'll get a heap-o pine straw, but I've got to keep the weeds at bay til then. And pine straw degrades so fast. I'm off to the woods to fight back the wild grape vines, grasses and briars.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I am about 50 mi NE of Atlanta and all the storms/rain in NE GA have been going around us. In fact it has been that way for many years. I heard Glenn Burns explaining it a few years ago. He basically said he believed it was due to the mass de-forestation, espec around Atl. In my local area due to growth, the amt of tree-clearing is sickening and obscene, IMO.

In my own space of the world, I *try* to have plants that are drought tolerant. I only have a few water hogs- impatiens.

soupcon,

try the several available "moisture control" soil mixes. Also you can get the moisture crystals and add them to the soil you have. I accidentally used it on my house plants and killed most of them due to rot. The stuff really keeps the soil soggy so its ideal for outdoor beds and planters in the summer months.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey, great minds think alike. I'm using moisture control soil, 'cuz last year I had the same problem. Don't know when I became a shallow waterer, but I guess I'll go back to overwatering now and probly kill 'em with kindness. Wish we'd at least get a cloudy day so that I could feel good about letting the little darlins dry out a bit. I have been watering them daily for so long, it's hard not to fear root rot. By the way, after only two days on the front porch, the double impatiens are looking much happier. Sorry to hear you are in the same boat (sorry for THAT pun) on rainfall.

I have a bad feeling that wildfires are going to start spawning throughout georgia!

Lakeland, GA

Phil.SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! dont curse us like that!We had a nice evening storm last nite.It rained about 3 hours here.My plants are very happy today!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

UH! No fair!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Dry and HOT! ...and my air conditioner just died! Talk about hot! They are coming today to put in a new system ($$$$$). The old one was 18 years old but you never want to have to see the money go out so unexpectedly...

We need rain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Centerville, GA

According to weather.com,central GA is supposed to get rain tonight or tomorrow (cross fingers, prayer to weather god - sacrifice small animal? have white cat that is virgin...). I just moved into my house last year and have put out about 75 plants including 3 trees. Use whatever lucky charms you have to invoke that rainstorm!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, Wonda. I just saw 80% chance for Jonesboro! I'm holdng my mouth right, but have no animals to sacrifice except the durn squirrels. No, I'm sure that would insult the weather gods.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, finally a small token rain last night, my rain guage says less than 1/2 and inch, but I am thankful for even that.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey, Well here I sit looking at the sky turning the clearest blue ever! We were looking at dark, heavy rainclouds this morning around 6A.M. but here it is 10:00 ,and no rain plus a clear sky again!
My grass is dying out in little crop circles. The ground is so dry its actually cracking and ridging. Im not mowing at all now to help moisture stay in the ground. Now my yard is parched and shabby!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I found that the pine mini-nuggets hold water the best in the flower beds. I try to keep 2" in full sun, 1" in part shade. The lawn just has to take care of itself.

If you have ground in your beds that will not hold water - it just rolls off - take the biggest screwdriver you have, poke holes in the ground, wiggle the screwdriver around and then water slowly. You can pound the screwdriver in with a hammer if we are in real drought.

Always look at the tops of your trees in the early morning. When the tops look wilted, the tree is in jeopardy. Spend the water there first. Many will look wilted in the afternoon, but the forest agent said the morning is the time you do not want to see wilt.

Centerville, GA

All good tips, Sterhill. I have several trees just planted last fall and would hate to lose them. I haven't tried the pine mini-nuggets but I'll check those out. I watered thoroughly then mulched my newly planted azaleas with unprinted newspaper (comes in a box from Uhaul or you can buy end rolls from the newspaper office very cheap), then added about 3 inches of pine straw on top. I think the printed kind is fine too, I just had the other left over from moving. They seem to be handling the dry spell very well with just a weekly watering. The sun is still shining here in Centerville but there is a dark cloud slightly to the north and I heard a little thunder earlier. Cross fingers!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

We've just had a wonderful storm here in Barnesville.......thanks to all who did their rain dance.............LOL. It started about 1pm, rained hard then quit. Came again and really drenched us.......how fresh and clean the air is after a good one!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.