Peanuts are coming on

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Getting a decent stand this year.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

you grow peanuts?? how many do you get from one plant?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Average about 50 pods, at 3 nuts per pod.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

are they for your own use or do you sell them. are they like the ones you buy at the ball park.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I grow them primarily for Nostalgia, This cultivar Tennesee Red I grew as a boy in Virginia. That said I also love unsalted roasted in the shell peanuts. These are pretty good for that purpose. It is not a commercail variety, however so you won't find them sold commercially. Most of those are Virginia peanuts, Candies-Spanish type, peanut butter - runner type. That is the type predominate in Georgia, although a couple hundred miles southwest of here.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, Farmer, I eat some peanuts daily...natural peanut butter and dry unsalted nuts.

I have raised the Virginia type which grew very well but needed another month to finish up well.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep the Virginia type is long season. The only part of Virginia, that they grow well is the south east section. Most are grown in North Carolina. That is why we grew Valencia types, specifically the Tennessee Red, shorter season. Not as big as the Virginia, but bigger than the Spanish type.

Spencer, TN

I like the flavour of the little spanish ones better than the virginias, and i also like the flavour of the ones i grew better than the ones i buy, (probably because i use soft rock phosphate and that makes things taste better) I think TN valencia was the one i grew, it's been several years sence i grew them, I need to grow em somemore, thinking even further back it's a good memory growing peanuts back in the early 70's and drying them on the roof of the well house. Then I'd eat em up and wish there were more. that was when we lived about 2 mi N of the GA line.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i thought i read smewhere that peanuts were a good cover crop.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

That sandy soil looks perfect for peanuts. Way back in the late 60's my husband and I lived right off a field of peanuts way down in southwest Georgia. The farmer planted them, had some hands hoe and hand pull weeds once early in the season and then harvested them in the fall. We really enjoyed digging in the soil and getting a few to try as they matured. Good luck with your crop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.