Clematis Co-Op...

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Blooming bulb is having a "blow out" sale. Shipping (to one address) is free and the prices are quite reasonable. The catch is that you must buy 5 of a variety. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in setting up or participating in a clematis co-op. Here is the link to the varieties they sell.
http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/Category.107/QX/CartBulbs.htm?utm_source=shipClimbingVines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5/24+Newsletter

they have a pretty good rating (96 out of 100) here at DG. http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/51/

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I've had some very bad luck with those guys sending bulbs true to name. I ended up with a yard full of yellow tulips this year and I bought several different kinds all in different colors and they all came up yellow. I also ordered 3 amaryliis from them this winter and not one was true to name. If the lilies I ordered from them last fall aren't what I ordered, that's it for me. It's too disappointing to wait for something to bloom and then find that it's not what is expected.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Horrid! Did you leave feedback in the Watchdog? If not you certainly should!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

tombaak, Park Seeds has a couple of varieties of clematis on sale for $7.77 and $5.98 right now. I do have to say in my ongoing effort to get a clematis multi-blue (three tries, all dead) one was an order with Park. Perhaps others have had better luck with them, though.

Item# 49876 Clematis Cassis
Clematis Clematis Cassis
40% OFF (Zone 6 - 9)
Bareroot - For Spring Shipping

1 for $ 5.97 each You save $3.98
Qty:

Item# 46973 Clematis Vienetta
Clematis florida var sieboldiana Vienetta
40% OFF (Zone 6 - 9)
Bareroot - For Spring Shipping

1 for $ 7.77 each You save $5.18

Not yet. I'm waiting on the lilies. I did contact them and they refunded me every penny. I have to say this for them, they are great about refunding and they are very quick about it. It's hard to leave a negative rating when they are so good about the refund. I'm at the point though, where I'm tired of being disappointed.

If you don't care about what kind of a clematis you might get, they do have some awesome prices. But it's a little easier to dig up a bulb and move it or get rid of it than it is a clematis.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

For great clematis, try http://www.brushwoodnursery.com/ and http://www.silverstarvinery.com/default.asp

Excellent selection and I can personally say that Dan at Brushwood ships awesome plants. Silver Star is supposed to ship awesome plants as well, but I have not ordered from her (yet ;).

You get *live* plants from these places, not dormant twigs. They are worth the price.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Tombaak - what is the price of the clematis for the co-op? I might be interested. Thx

- Well, I just checked the link and everything shows "sold out". I guess they really did blow it out!

This message was edited May 26, 2006 8:43 AM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Bare roots can take 4 years to get established ...You are better off buying a clematis "Plant"...JMHO...I love Gardencrossings.com for Chad has awesome Clematis and great prices...Jeanne

I just received 2 clematis from Garden Crossings and they are very nice, healthy plants. Larger than what is normlly received from an online seller (except for Debbie at Silver Star!). I've also received some nice clematis from Brushwood. Not as large as Garden Crossings, but good, healthy plants and that's what counts.

I agree with Jean, don't go bareroot.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Bluestone perennials has all of their plants half price until 5/31 and they have a good selection of clematis for $4.97 each.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I just ordered my first two clematis from Bluestone - Jackmanni and Julia Correvan. I've ordered twice from them this spring, and the plants have been great.

This message was edited May 26, 2006 11:50 AM

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

A thought about quick refunds being a criteria for non-negative-feedback. It's great when the refund is no hassle, but how do you get refunded for the time and effort lost to not get what you wanted growing in your garden? It's not like you know it's wrong immediately and can go out and replace it with that refund to the growth level it should have been when it was originally purchased and planted.

Personally, I'd look at the rating in GW as plant-related first, billing second. You're kind not to leave negative feedback, beaker_ch

The Watchdog is a powerful tool and people should be careful how they use it. I know it's the first thing I check when considering a purchase from someone I haven't done business with before. I don't think you should hand out negatives willy-nilly for every perceived wrong.

When I've received dead plants, that's a negative rating. There's no excuse for dead and dying plants packed and shipped improperly. They shouldn't be in business if that's the quality of their merchandise. I'm more forgiving for plants that are not true to name if otherwise in good condition. An isolated mistake? Maybe, maybe not. I'm going to wait until the lilies bloom that BB sent last fall before I decide between neutral or negative. And I don't think it's being kind, it's being prudent.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Your call, of course.
Two out of three?
A year invested?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.