Growing hellebores from seed, need advice??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Someone sent me some hellebores seeds, I planted ten seeds in a 10" pot, is that too many? I expect they may germinate by Oct./Nov., should I transplant into individual pots at that time if so how many plants per pot? I would like to keep at least one plant in a pot so I can set it on my deck and enjoy the blooms from indoors but I could plant the rest directly in the ground. I don't have a cold frame should I bury the pot in October if they haven't yet germinated? Will I need to cover it with something? If I plant the remaining 10 directly in the ground are there any special requirements? When can I expect blooms?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Newbie to hellebores
Zinnia

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted my seeds directly in the ground in late summer or early autumn. They all germinated and I have been moving them around a bit for a couple of years due to some minor construction, etc. The first ones that I planted were 3 years ago, H. foetidus, and no blooms yet, but maybe this year. I have an old (100 years +?) stand of H. niger that were here and I planted seeds for H orientalis 2 years ago that are now nice full plants. they are plants that test your patience, but well worth the wait!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.