What does your iris smell like?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cherry Glen from Schreiners has a strong licorice smell. I love it! Most of mine are faintly licorice. The one I named Marooned, is soapy.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm.....I can't think of what they smell like except that they smell like irises! LOL They smell yummy! ;o)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My old fashioned smell sweetly, and of course there are the purple koolaids.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I have several that smell the same, pleasant to sniff but not so much with a deep breath. I've got 1 or 2 that smell like licorice, glad someone else thinks that too, I thought that was a strange scent for a plant. I've got 2, Immortality and Harvest of Memories that draw me in for long, deep breaths :-) They're sweet and I think they smell like our Locust trees when they're in bloom, a smell I LOVE and DH HATES because they just kill him allergy wise! My variegated iris has a small purple bloom and it's a nice sweet smell too.

This message was edited May 24, 2006 10:36 PM

I completely understand the allergy thing! I have been sneezing since the beginning of May and I think I should take stock Puffs Plus! I cut a bouquet of roses and brought it in the house today..........I am sneezing up a storm, but I don't care, I LOVE the smell of them!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've been sneezing too, but only in the morning. I don't have allergies, yet.

Mine don't usually start until June, but this year has been a killer!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bummer!
My Mom had allergies. I hope it skips me. She didn't get hayfever till in her 40's. Then with a vengence.

I must say, mine aren't as bad as when I was a kid. But then I don't walk though hayfields like I used too either. ;o)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laugh!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I have managed to escape allergies for 39 years, I hope to continue that trend, my poor DH is miserable from spring till frost. I've heard that KY is one of the worst states for allergies, he didn't have nearly as much trouble when we lived in MS.

Well, don't ever move to the Willamette Valley! I live in Albany and our city sign on the freeway says, "Welcome to Albany. Grass seed capital of the world." and I think it might be true!! LOL

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL!! Grass pollen is BAD!

I've got some of those old purple irises from a trade this spring, they will probably bloom next year, are they the ones that smell like grape koolaid? I hope so, sounds yummy!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Time will tell. I love the koolaid smell. I planted them outside the window just to be able to smell them in the house.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Some of the iris smell so sweet, like North Pacific Seas-it has the strongest perfume. Some other ones have an odd aroma when I cut them and bring them in the house-kind of like junipers (which to me smells like cat urine). A lot of the older iris smell better than some newer ones.

I have an extremely sensitive nose, which is a blessing and a curse. LOL

Sandy

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Junipers smell like cat urine to you? I love the smell of junipers! But red cedar smells strongly like cat urine! I know, because we cut one once for a Christmas Tree!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.