'Priscilla'-I know its not an iris, but...

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I know its not an iris, but...it kinda looks like one! lol...

There is no gladiola forum, and the bulb forum isn't exactly hoppin', so didn't reallly know where to put this...

I figured if people on this forum like iris, then maybe they'd also like glads...
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Love glads:) That one is beautiful. I've had it on a list for awhile now but never get it. This year I have alot of the one called Green Star and just got some 1/2 price from Brent and Becky's. It's a orangey color and I thought it would look kinda cool with the green ones. I have a white one that shoots up to about 5 1/2 feet every summer. I planted it about 8 years ago and it just keeps multiplying.

Do you have a pic of your orangey one? I may be able to find a few extras of these
-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hee hee. I planted some today. And yours are in bloom.
inanda where first TB bloomed today.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey! Gladiolas are members of the iris family Iridaceae so why not put your pic here. I love Priscilla-- one of my favorites. I still have a bunch of glads to get in IF it ever stops raining long enough. Yeah, rain... just in time for the big iris convention here. I visited Schreiner's yesterday and everything was pretty well doused. Actually, it was a good time to evaluate potential purchases for sturdiness.. after a good northwest shower!

I only have priscilla and comet, but they are still both favorites. They were just cheapos at a chain store, but happy to fine they really do well here.
-T

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I love glads. Last year was my first to have planted some. Here is one from last year.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug

Those are very pretty!
What is the name of that one?

Don't they make a statement? I just love that they are dormant, then send spikes to the sky, and explode in bloom...

No wonder they are an old fashioned favorite.
-T

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh sorry. The above picture was bought in a set labeled Winter Hardy mix.

This one is Byzantine Gladiolus. It was passed from my grandmother's garden to my dad's to my uncle's back to my dad's and now in my garden (if you can follow that!).

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug

That is a great picture of your byzantines. There are two threads about these in the 'Heirloom' forum and one especially long.

You may want to post this picture on there. They'd really like it.

I have the very similar and lighter colored glad. Italicus.

Here is Glad italicus:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you have problems with wind? I love my glads but sometimes they are just top heavy. Lovely pics.
Teresa

Occasionally if there is a strong wind, or if they don't get enough water sometimes they'll lean over.
Those g. italicus had just started to fall over, because I hadn't been watering them.
I have some of those cheap, (but great) plant props that I got from Lowes. They have them in all heights. They are just a really thin, sturdy piece of heavy wire, with a single horizontal loop at the top.

After that picture, I propped them all back up with ony a few stakes.
The Larger glad in the first picture is holding its own so far, but I have a 3 ft. stake for them...just in case.
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.