Corn questions...

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I have never grown more than one variety of corn, and i haven't grown corn for years (a zone thing, but we have moved to a new zone) This year i bought three types and didn't think much about it. I just did a bit of a google search about one of the corn varieties i picked and found out it should be isolated from other corn. Now i am wondering if the other two can be planted together?

Edited to add, i have tilled maze (no roadside attraction or anything, just some fun for our daughters and their cousins) and my plan was to plant corn and sunflowers in the lines of the maze and winter squash around the perimiter (except the opening area). There aren't any problems with corn and sunflowers together that anyone knows of are there???

Any and all corn tips would be welcome!

Thanks,
Melissa

This message was edited May 24, 2006 5:52 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Other than the fact that corn and sunflowers are very competitive, there is no problem with interspersing them. Both are heavy feeders so take that into account.

As for isolating, you need to know which cultivars are supersweets (SH2). These have to be isolated from Su, Se, and synergistic cultivars. You can plant multiple Sh2 cultivars or multiple cultivars of Su,Se, Synergistic. But don't mix the types . If an Sh2 is cross pollinated with regular corn, it loses its edge. Actually becomes tough and chewy.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Farmer Dill, thanks for the info,

The corn that i knew i needed to isolate is an SH2. The other two varietis are Serendipity Bicolor and Silver Princess White (both from John Scheepers), i find no mention to what type they are...

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

My bad, a quick google search found them listed on another site. They are both SE, so i will use them for my maze and find some out of the way spot for my other.

Thanks again!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tom, Just for future reference, They are all listed with type in Plantfiles. Might save you some googling in the future.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I found two out of three there. I'll check there first from now on, i am just so used to googling for info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.