Coleus Chit-Chat!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Wednesday Morning to all you coleus nuts and addicts out there! Hugs to all!!!

Continued from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/601332/#new

Let's continue all our fun to this thread, as the other thread is just waaaaaayyyyy toooooooo long!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yippee.....even being blond....I made it.....

Hap

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

So now I just have to remember that the conversation moved to a new thread? Remember, I'm just learning to keep up here.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wooohoooo! Good for you Hap!

News Flash My toe feels so much better today. I soaked in epsom salts about 4 times yesterday and it helped to much! Thank you Pati!!! It is pretty ugly, black & blue but I able to move it a little this morning and the swelling has gone down now, which is good....at least it doesn't look like it's going to exploid anymore. So, surely it can't be broken and that makes me so happy. LOL Now I won't have an excuse if I don't get everything done!

Yep new thread Gymgirl.....you'll do fine, and if you have a problem....grab Hap or Pati...they will direct the way!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

GG,

See at the bottom of your post........the four dots with names after them???

Just click on WATCH THREAD and it will automatically come up when there is a new post. Then if you just want to look at threads you are following, to the the top of the page to My Info and you can see all that you are watching. Dave's a smart cookie for doing all this.

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Brinda, you won't believe it.

Remember the sad tale of my toes.... well I did it again last night. Can you believe it? I didn't smash it as hard as you did for it's regular color this am. But, it hurts....no big time, but I know I curled them. I even heard the knuckles pop!!

Such is life.. Glad you're better.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Eeewww Hap, that makes me hurt just thinking of it! Ouch, I'm sure happy that it wasn't a bad one!

When did Sidney say that she had to take Frank for the stress test? Was it today? Goodness...I feel for him!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're right, at his weight I don't know how they expect him to even walk, no less trot!!! Prayers needed here....

There's a name for people who cause their own pain over and over again....

They're called......................."Coleus Addicts!"

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Well, I thought I'd be off to the garden early this morning but I find myself sitting here on DG looking at all the beauties. I hang out mostly here and the brug forum and then in tropicals and I just can never get enough! LOL

Now DH has called me to ask me to run to the bank and put money in his account. LOL He says that he only has $2.00 in there. I swear.....if he had $1000.00 in there today, he would have a big fat zero tomorrow....and wouldn't have a clue what happened to it! LOL It's a good thing I'm planning for our retirement! LOLOL We'd starve to death if I left it up to him.

On a lighter note....you'd have to know DH's mother to know how he got this way. She lives in a perfect little world where money is plentiful (and has always been) and travels and shops all the time. And she has to be the most organized person on the face of this earth. She will be here for 5 days and wants to have every minute planned. I can't do that! LOL It makes me nuts for someone to plan my day for me. I know what is going to happen when I get up in the morning......I'm going to play in the garden all day on & off and do what I want to do. LOL Don't get me wrong....she is a wonderful and loving person and I love her bunches! I just get so stressed when she comes for a visit....I just get so stressed when she comes for a visit....I just get so stressed when she comes for a visit! LOL Can you tell?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL @gymgirl!

LOL @ Brinda! At least she is your DH's mother...my mother was like that and I was an only child that only read books, hated housework, and wanted every animal I saw to put into her super clean house. Poor mother, I don't know how she lived to be 94, the last eight years with me. LOL

Re: stress test. Because of his weight Frank will have the test laying down with chemicals to raise his heart rate and blood pressure. I had this before my knee surgery and it is truly scarey, but not painful.
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, Frank is out there right now and has had to wait an extra hour to get started.
He's only 58 years old. He lettered in every sport in HS (Memorial in Tulsa) and was offered 18 athletic scholarships and 17 academic ones. He went to Colorado School of Mines in Golden because.............they made Coors beer there.
Ended up at what was then UTEP, where I met him picking my folks up from a Bridge Tournament.
About 25 years ago he had a fracture of his left leg and ended up with 6 bolts in that knee. It has been downhill since then.
We get along great as he knows who the boss is.
Watching TV this AM I saw where if I can make more than !2,000. a year it would be wise to wait until I'm 65 to retire. If I can get a good safety lady job, I think I can do that.
Thanks for all your support and prayers.
Sidney

(((Sugar))) and one for (Frank).

We'll wait with you....hang on Sloopy!!!
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh so Frank is an Okie! No wonder I liked him. Wish him well from all of us, Sidney! I'm so sorry for his troubles and hope things improve greatly for him!

LOL @ going to school in Colorado because of the beer! Another reason why I like Frank....I'm a Coors Light girl myself!
And good luck with the job hunt...we're all pulling for ya!

Oh Pati! LOL My Mom and my MIL are so totally opposite it isn't even funny. My MIL spends her days organizing her calendar because she doesn't want to do too much in one day......like getting her hair done, her nails done, which movie to see with which friend, which play to see with which friend and SHOPPING, SHOPPING, SHOPPING!

And my Mom spends her days counting every penny that she has saved (and there are lots of them).....checking & rechecking the bank (s) to make sure they didn't make a mistake with her money. And then checking all the ads to see what is on sale where. I'm thinking she'd drive 20 miles to save 2 cents! The only loan she has ever taken out was a house loan and she paid it off way early cuz she couldn't stand to pay the interest. LOL And everything that she has, she has done herself....and she was a single mom with no child support from my dad. Talk about tough, she sure is!

tobee..........YoooHooo...............How's it going?
dale ..........YoooHooo................Hope this day is better than yesterday.
Brinda my DB used to live in Del City and the twister of 1999, ?? I think missed him by 2 blocks. The baseball hail however didn't
Sidney

Sugar, what's the word on Frank? Anything yet?
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear about your DB, Sidney! That twister of 1999 got DH's ex and now she lives in Nebraska! Darn the luck!!!! LOL (Was that nasty?)

Yeah....tobee...come out & play for awhile. Or did she say yesterday that she'd be working at the extension all day today? Maybe that is what is going on.

I just came in for a break....it is soooo hot outside. If the pool were ready I'd take a dip! I'm gonna get on DH about that as soon as he gets home. Time keeps ticking away on us and he only has one day off til the big bash! Ooooohhhh my!

Yea Sidney, how is Frank doing? I've thought of him on & off today! Hope all is going well for him & you too!

Well they did administer the test like Pati said. He said the worst part was nearly dislocating his shoulder while they took pictures of his heart. He had to put his arm over his head and that is another worn-out joint. They ask him 3 times how he was doing. He said it was like a heavy trash day. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers. He thinks the results will be good.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wonderful, Sidney... Keep us posted.

Well folks look what our Happy has done;
http://www.acfchefs.org/ccf/ccf.html
She's that pretty chef on that page that won this prestigeous award!!
Congratulations sweet lady!
Sidney

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG Congrats Happy!!!!!

Huggers
Janis

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Wow! congrats Happy!

I didn't know you were a chef as well as a coleus addict! That's great! I used to be in the ACF (Delaware Valley, PA/NJ/DE), but let my membership lapse as working in restaurants ate up most of my life for a while. I switched over from the hot side to the pastry side a couple years ago, and from the small, upscale restaurant sector into the hotel sector so I could enjoy my new life as a wife (and soon to be-mom, this august! ) a bit more. It's great to see a role model, especially a female role model, in chef's circles, and especially in coleus circles!

All this babble just to say, wow! i'm awed and proud of you!

Do you know any ACF chefs in our chapter?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

WOW Hap...you da' woman! I am so impressed and pleased to know you! What a wonderful thing and such a gorgeous lady!

Will the REAL Happy please stand up? Here we've been holding hands, skipping along though the Coleus beds with our ditzy little friend, and all the time she had a secret life! Who knew she was a queen of the kitchen and wore a crown, but called it a toque? Who knew she cleaned up so good?LOL

I am executing my deepest curtsey of respect, and my warmest hug of friendship. Believe me, with these knees that curtsey may be the last one I ever do!
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I've been meaning to ask all you Florida gals....since you're from the Caladium Capitol of the World, do you grow them?

I have several Caladium spots. I'll take pictures and post later.
Sidney

Brinda, there is no such thing as a flower bed in Florida without Caladiums!!!! My favorite are the white ones with green veins. (Candidum).
I grow them in the large round bowels and use them for spots of color in my shade garden. I usually plant Coleus (what else?) in the bowels with them so when they die back I still have color there. In the winter the Coleus get leggy, so when spring comes I cut them back to bush, the Caladiums come up, and Voila', the whole thing starts over!

I think they grow well anywhere, but up north, or out west as the case may be, the bulbs have to be dug up and stored.

Other than Coleus, they are the next best plant to give you a big bang for a buck!
Pati

HAP!

You look so wonderful in that outfit I can hardly imagine you with dirt under your fingernails! Such a worthy, and worthwhile use of your life and service to others. As an employee at a Mental Health Mental Retardation Center, I truly appreciate your making a way for those who are "differently abled!"

Congrats!

Hugs and Kisses!

Linda

Brinda,

This "buds" for you! Grown entirely myself from bulbs! They're in individual pots sitting in the flowerbox outside the den window.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

And...check out the bloom!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Finally,

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh thank you Gymgirl, those are beauties! Do they come back for you each year or do they have to be in a warmer zone?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you all. But I am the one who has been so blessed to be allowed to work in these places. God is Good.

Chef Nancy Lee Spilove, CEC (Certified Executive Chef)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i found it!!! pheww eeee the other thread was getting sooooooo long it was draggin on the floor!

hap......you are the most beauious chef ever. concrats! and you must be (like I didn't know this already) some special wonderful person. the picture is wonderful and you are so pretty...i saved it so i can show my dh. although maybe i shouldn't because he doesn't know what a clean looking woman looks like! and he may not accept when he comes home and i tell him dinner's in freezer...... enjoy!

just stopped for lunch. 9it wasn't in the freezer!) updating my day....not that ya'll want to hear but i'm telling you anyway...just plug your ears!

thanks to everyone who cheered me on! i feel so much better today with that test behind me.....except my plants. i laying out all these hundreds of plants and NOT a one light one in the bunch thanks' to GHW! (transplanting everyone of his tiny plugs today). still waiting on floriasun farms. called them this morning they are holding my order for another week. i said oh...thanks for calling and letting me know!

Caladium ......yummy....got the black and pink spotted one's this year just took the the iridescent pink one's out of the greenhouse because they were beginning to burn!

got home last night and found my order in from mischel's.....nice they forgot my persian shield completely....not even like a short ship. charged and nothing but an empty box...that was fun. got my order from singing springs nursery........now THAT'S an order. perfection to the last leaf.

my busines partner left me a message......she thinks she may have 4 more large jobs. i'm going SMACK her silly!

i can't wait until i can start taking pictures!! you all have pictures i have blank scapes!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ms. Pati,

Ditzy?????? How did you know that I was ditzy?

Eskinola,
Thanks. I don't think I know anyone, but was there a Phil who was usually outrageous? He would wear a T-shirt under his tux jacket and he also was doing the newsletter on-line when I used to see him. He was from around your area.

Again, Thanks all for all the wonderful things you said.

Hap

Brinda,
I'M THE NEWBIE. Everything you've seen me post is the FIRST time I've planted and grown anything (besides the marigolds I just HAD to plant in the bed by our front porch steps when I was a teenager.) They were GORGEOUS Yellow, and TALL, and attracted every BEE in New Orleans that summer!

Needless to say, NO ONE sat on the front porch all summer long. And my mother was none too happy about it....

Which is why I keep asking YOU GUYS what to do with the caladiums and coleu (way cool plurality) at the end of the summer?!

And I still want to at least get a glimpse of the DG coffee mug that I will never own. I'd like to know what I missed, so if someone has one, please post a pic. Thanks.

Hap: You're way cool.

Heathrjoy: Where are you?

I've leaving for the doctor at 2:30 CST --- MY TIME -- Not your times. MY TIME, OK.

Now all together in Gilda Radners voice, "Never mind..."

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh, no need to fret about questions.....every gardener just loves to answer them! And you can't imagine how many questions I asked long ago when I got the brugmansia obsession! Holy Cow....I bet they wanted me to leave them alone! LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Contray to poplar belief of my family, I do NOT KNOW EVERYTHING!!!! My daughter calls me Mrs. Know-It-All..... and she is Know-It's -All Daughter. (We have such fun together)

Therefore................I ask questions. No matter now long you garden or do anything, you can always learn. And at my age, sometimes I am re-learning 'cus I jis forgetes.....Ya no???????

Was that a good introduction to my question? One that I used to know the answer?

I have scale on my gardenia.. What do I use? I was in HD and Lowes today and I saw nothing for scale. What did I miss?

HELP!!!

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hap, give this a try. I had some kind of white looking scale or bug that I never identified, when I brought my plants home from their winter getaway. Someone on the Garden Foes Forum told me to spray with 1/2 alcohol & 1/2 water.....so I did. But don't do it in the sun....the leaves will burn. Good Luck!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Brinda...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.