Snakes in Flower Bed

Augusta, GA

Are there any plants or an organic substance that will help repell snakes from my flower beds? I appreciate the contribution they make within the ecosystem, however, I do not wish to DISCOVER one of these creatures during my precious relaxation time. I have raised flower beds; newspaper lined for weed/heat control, dirt composite and the a layer of mulch. The palnts are doing very well, but the occasional snake is wearing me out...I'm not afraid...just do not like the surprise discovery. Thanks!

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

ick - hate snakes. They are attracted to the mulch in garden beds looking for tasty treats, mainly insects and any other creepy crawlies. You may want to post this thread in the "garden foes" forum. good luck.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I was told,many years ago that a snake won't go in vinca minor.I have never been able to prove him wrong,and I have never seen a snake in vinca minor,some one else might have,but for over 50yrs,I have looked.Just a thaught.Mike

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't stop looking Mike.. They will get into Vinca Minor, over the last 32 years I have killd quite a few moccasins in mine.. Keep them peepers open..Less than 2 weeks ago I got one of the biggest Cottonmouth's ever in mine up against the house.

Larkie

How is the plant?

This message was edited May 23, 2006 9:42 PM

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Larkie,I've always wondered about that,The old man who said it was the most unuashal naturalest I ever knew.Mike

Cordele, GA

Some snakes do seem to be repelled by moth balls, according to the research I did when we were having a problem at the school. However the copperhead/moccosin clan don't seem to care much one way or the other. Snake-away is basically moth crystals.

The best advice the experts have to offer is to keep the grass under 3 inches high and discourage rodents.

Per my peers,'They are all rattlers!". I am slowly training the custodial staff to call me so that I can remove and relocate the offending reptile. So far I have removed 2 rat snakes , 3 northern water snakes, and a ring neck snake, but they were all 'rattlers'.

Beth

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Probably were all copper-headed water rattlers, as the late great Lewis Grizzard would have IDed them.

They always make me jump, but I don't kill 'em on sight anymore; though if it were a cottonmouth, copperhead, or rattler, I'd probably go for termination, rather than relocation or merely ignoring them.

L

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Repell snakes? Outdoor cats. I have a pretty good snake killing program going on, I was presented with a snake head a couple of weeks ago. LOL. Only thing with the cats is they kill birds which I don't like to much but I have small children and live on a 13 acre lagoon with much of the bank wild. The cottonmouths are just to dangerous. They don't back down and are just hostile. Copper heads haven't been seen in years. Those are the two i worry about, cottonmouth hostile, copperhead slow and stupid.

Cordele, GA

Cats are good at killing snakes. That is one of the reasons they were held in such high regard in ancient Egypt. It appears to be hardwired into them. I have seen cats stalking sections of garden hose that were on the ground in a snakey pattern of loops.

About a week ago I was sitting in the recliner holding a gray rat snake for my son while he prepped an aquarium for it. Our indoor cat, who, to my knowledge, has never seen a snake, was very, very intent on the snake. She refused to leave the room, and ,when she was physically picked up and taken out, she returned immediately to her guard position.

Copperheads are really lethargic. They will let you work all around them without one warning vibration of the tail in dry leaves , while a king snake under the same circumstances will give the best imitation of a rattle snake you ever heard.

Beth

Augusta, GA

Thanks for all of your responsses. I will maintain my lawn a bit better...height wise. Perhaps the fox that frequents will get a few snakes...I'm certain he can identify the different types of snakes frequenting the property.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.