Oil-Away Supreme horticultural oil from Gardens Alive

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I've been using the Oil-Away from Gardens Alive for a few years. This year, they changed to Oil Away Supreme. When I opened my bottle today, the stuff had a thick consistency, like glue, and the color was bright green! I'm a bit afraid to use it. I called the customer service dept. and the rep said it should be ok to use, but he didn't seem very knowledgeable. Has anyone used the new formula?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Does it need diluting / is it concentrated?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Yep, it needs diluting with water, but so did the old formula. I'm concerned, because it doesn't even look like oil. It's very thick and opaque.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not familiar with either the old or the new form of this product, but here's a thought anyway. Have you been keeping it somewhere that's a little cold, or did it experience cold temperatures during shipment? Oils start to turn solid if the temperature gets low enough, some oils will do this at higher temperatures than others, so maybe their new formula is more prone to this problem than the old one was. The fact that's it's both thick and opaque makes me think that could be the problem, so try warming it up to a higher temperature than it's at now and see if it gets thinner and clearer (you may need to shake/mix it too). This wouldn't explain the bright green color though if you think that's abnormal too--maybe they added color to it so people wouldn't accidentally eat it or something?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that info, ecrane. I've been keeping the bottle at room temperature ever since I received it, and it's still gluey. Almost comes out of the bottle like toothpaste. I tried mixing a tablespoon with a bowl of warm water and it did turn into solution, but it still doesn't seem "oily". It also smells a bit like glue. I rubbed my fingers in it, and it doesn't feel oily either. I guess I should send an email to Gardens Alive.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

They should at least acknowledge your concern and get someone on the line who knows something about the product. I was nervous to use them myself b/c of ratings on Garden Watchdog, but so far, so good.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I use these products: pyola, soapshield and oil away without any problems. I like the company too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.