Dame's rocket

Pewaukee, WI

This is invasive in Wisconsin. Not as bad as garlic mustard.

Thumbnail by pineapplesage

Highly invasive in Illinois and just about everywhere throughout the midwest and it's highly invasive out east and out west too. Tough plant to get people to part with because it is so darn pretty. A wave of it is perceived as "natural". People don't want to part with their waves of garlic mustard around here either.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Chesapeake Beach, MD

In fact, someone's got a picture of a "variegated money plant" on the perennials forum right now. Gah. Pernicious noxious weed -- although the scent really is quite nice.

Chicago, IL

Money Plant is not Hesperis matronalis

I think the comparison being drawn was that Lunaria annua 'Variegata Alba’ is intoxicatingly attractive to some people just as Hesperis matronalis and Alliaria petiolata are. Some people believe when they show up in waves out of nowhere (as they often do) that they are "wildflowers" so they leave them be. All three are quite invasive and all three can be found in clusters dotting lawns and colonizing in natural landscapes and people get hung up on the aesthetics without researching the plants.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

dang....when I lived in WI, I used to stop and pick this stuff - love purple. Didn't plant it. Stinks, doesn't it?

There's a money plant on our property.... that's invasive, too?

Equilibrium, where do I start to research invasive plants?

Tough question being as how you are in California and I am in Illinois. I'd start by getting the Latin name to each and every plant you have on your property. If you can't identify a plant, go and post several decent photos including close ups in the Identification Forum and let everyone else help you.

If you have a cultivar that only lists the genus and the cultivar name, do an internet search and find out what the parentage of the plant is. This is very important. Note the definition of invasive here-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species
Note this, "becomes capable of establishing a breeding population in the new location without further intervention by humans, and spreads widely throughout the new location". This ability to establish a breeding population is exactly why cultivars are deemed equally as invasive as straight species in most situations.

Around here we have Purple Loosestrife. PL is highly invasive and its Latin name is Lythrum salicaria. Lord only knows why but many breeders developed cultivars of this beast. The straight species and all cultivars are illegal to sell in the State of Illinois. Last weekend, I went to a nursery that labeled a Lythrum salicaria cultivar as L. 'Lady Sackman'. Needless to say when I asked the gal about the plant, she told me it wasn't the "bad one" and that this one was sterile. I reported their nursery and that was the first time I have ever reported a nursery. This is three years in a row they have been selling cultivars and duping people by labeling the plants as L. 'Lady Sackman' rather than Lythrum salicaria 'Lady Sackman'. This is the third year in a row they have claimed that the plant they are selling is "not the bad one". I clean up enough of these plants as it is on public land and what they are doing is against the law for a reason. Lythrum virgatum is also highly invasive and hybridizes freely with Lythrum salicaria. Both are Eurasian in origin. Lythrum salicaria and Lythrum virgatum are banned in this state and so are their cultivars. Think about it, "With one purple loosestrife plant producing as many as 2.5 million seeds each year, an acre of purple loosestrife yielding up to 24 billion seeds per year, and seeds remaining viable in the ground for at least five years, even a few plants can pose a serious threat to the environment."

Cultivars are always tricky as people would have us believe they are sterile and aren't necessarily a chip of the old block. Purple Loosestrife cultivars are no different than most other cultivars of straight species in that they are highly fertile. It was irrefutably documented by "Neil Anderson and Peter Ascher at the University of Minnesota determined fertility levels of 18 cultivars of Lythrum salicaria and Lythrum virgatum in a 1993 study. Their results showed that purple loosestrife cultivars are not sterile, but are, in fact, very fertile. Although most cultivars are self-incompatible, they can produce large amounts of seed when used as a male or female parent in making crosses."

Now you can see why you want to know the parentage of any plant that you have that had a stake that only gave the first leter of the genus followed by the cultivar name.

If you have that Latin name, go to Google and do a search using both the genus and the species plus the word invasive. Read carefully what is written at the first 10 sites. The reason why I suggest that you read carefully is that sometime a site will state a plant is not invasive and that pops up in your search too. After you do this a few times you will become more familiar with sites that address the existence of invasive species and you will sort of train yourself to click on those sites first. it takes time to get the hang of searching for information regarding a plant's invasiveness.

There are many sites that list plants that are invasive but most won't be tailored to you.

Here are a few sites listing species that are invasive to California:
US Dept of Ag's site-
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/

National Biological Information Infrastructure for California-
http://cain.nbii.gov/invasivesca

The Nature Conservancy-
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/california/projectprofiles/invasives.html

The Global Invasive Species Initiative
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/index.html

California Invasive Plant Council
http://groups.ucanr.org/ceppc/Publications/California_Wildland_Invasive_Plants.htm

From The University of California Press there is this publication which you might want to check out at the library:
"Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands"
Carla C. Bossard, John M. Randall, and Marc C. Hoshovsky, editors

Hope this helps. When I first started learning, the Internet wasn't the tool it is today. There weren't any sites like ours in existence and digging up this information was often extremely frustrating.

Here's a nursery that you might want to consider getting a catalog from-
http://www.laspilitas.com/
They enjoy a good professional reputation internationally.

One last comment, try not to freak out. The vast majority of plants introduced from other continents are not invasive. Sadly, many of the most popular plants being sold are invasive.

Hope this helps.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

lol
Try not to freak out....

I washed my truck yesterday. The black locust seeds were so thick and slimy from the rain and they were actually sprouting in the litter they made. I won't be surprised if I find little trees growing out of the cracks of the bedliner or in the bumper or hitch! For sure they'll be growing in the gravel. I've already pulled a couple 2-3" seedlings from my potted plants, and it's only been a week since they started dropping!

Thank you for taking the time to post all the information. I appreciate that you are "on it" here to fill people in and get them on the right bandwagon, like me. It sure takes a lot of effort to make a societal change, especially when our "experts" at nurseries are not being responsible for their role.

After I posted above, I started searching and found some CA information as well as the Nature Conservancy site. The Loosestrife is being watched (I already forgot the term) in parks and now I'm watching it here. At the very least I can try to wack most of it before it seeds. Las Pilitas has been a primary handbook for me in figuring out what shrubs I should plant for privacy screens, and figuring out what native plants I do have. The loosestrife was originally identified here.

It's been raining, so I've spent most of the day reading online and found several tools I just have to have someday. I think the first should be the Red Dragon Vapor Torch discussed in the Garden Shed forum. Seems like it could sure do a number on the ivy and berries, and other little unwanted plants. Next is the weed wrench, to remove bad shrubs, which I found on one of the CA park sites, designed originally for broom removal
http://www.weedwrench.com/#How%20to%20Order

I'm really starting to understand the concept behind the "ignorance is bliss" philosophy. I'm not prepared yet to dig up my butterfly bush, but I'll be sure to deadhead it promptly and not create any new ones. So far I haven't found anything about it's invasiveness here.

This new knowledge adds another cerebral aspect to gardening not many would even know about.

This message was edited May 26, 2006 10:15 PM

There's no bandwagon. I wish there was but there isn't. Slowly but surely it's no longer pc to plant invasive species. Who wants the time and expense of cleaning them up any more.

I own not one but two Weed Wrenches. I use the light and when I can't get something out with that light model my husband comes and gets it out with the medium. Anything larger than what you can rip out with the medium should really be chainsawed down. I have a chainsaw too. A light one for professional arborists. Not that I'm a professional arborist but it was light. Same deal on the chainsaw, iif I can't get hubby comes in with one of his heavier models and takes it to the ground for me. Most I do by myself but every once in a while I need help.

I saw that thread on the Red Dragon Vapor Torch. I already have a decent acetylene torch so I don't know if I should go for a different version of virtually the same thing. I probably will sooner or later as I will keep running into that thread and feeling the need to add another gardening tool.

I am feeling the same way about Siberian Dogwood and Japanese Barberry that you are feeling about Black Locust. Both of them have been found growing in cracks of my sidewalk as well as just about any other nook and cranny they can germinate in.

About that Butterfly Bush.... look it up using the Latin name of Buddleia davidii ;) It's native to China and hardy to zone 5 but has been able to survive some microclimates of zone 4. This is one of those wonderful plants that you can find lots of information by using Buddleia davidii invasive and Buddleia davidii noxious. It's a special plant and has dual citizenship in both categories. And, its cultivars aren't exactly infertile either although many were sold as being sterile for the longest time. Sorry about that. Figured you might as well know. If I were you, just keep it and dead head it until you are comfortable removing it and replacing it with more appropriate species. If that day never comes, oh well. It won't be the end of the world.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info on the wrench. I'm tall, so I was thinking to get the heavy one just for the fact that I won't have to bend so much, but if the medium will be enough in combo with my chainsaw, that'll be great.

The Tribe has planted Buddleia around several of its offices. I thought it grew wild here (a friend told me her husband dug up all of his from around the river), but didn't find it on the Las Pilitas list.

Fooey. I just got a new one last week from Bluestone Perennials. I won't plant it. I'll email them about the bush and read the information on it. I'll do the right thing - right after I deadhead it this year. What I do may not be the end of the world, but why contribute to the troubles if I can avoid it.

I think there is a little bandwagon - I'm on it now, even if hanging off in some places. I've passed on your information to others, and took to the research. Mind boggling, after a while.

I don't buy much at nurseries; too far away, but there is a teeny-tiny one here and I'll let the owner know about such things (she won't really care; doesn't do internet at all and knows little about natives, but at least she'll be informed). Unfortunately, there is a grower, who I assumed was pc, who is growing these and selling them at Farmer's Markets. I got my first from them, and when I was looking for natives for my screen/border planting (specific ones as suggested by Las Pilitas), they didn't have them, but suggested the Buddleia. I refused because of water requirements and the desire to only add natives in such abundance. I've planted 6 coffeeberry so far, and plan to move wild roses along the fence line (according to Las Pilitas, they will not only provide a good hedge (though not evergreen), but keep trashy neighbors from sneaking over and stealing gas...completely a consideration, since that part of the "yard" is not accessible by my crowd of canines.)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's another helpful site for a quick overview. I went over the entire list. *sigh* I've traded and/or sent postage for invasives, never mind what I've purchased or have seen at some of the nurseries! I think I'll print the list and take it to those nearest.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/index.htm

Good for you for finding the Weeds Gone Wild site! I totally forgot about that one. It is a great site.

Say 4paws, when you are doing your research don't forget to keep an eye out for all the exotic/introduced plants that aren't invasive. These integrate well into most landscape designs and add a little interest.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, Equilibrium (such a great handle - could never be mine!), I will. I actually think most of the native vegetation is lovely, so if I can find natives, I will. Or learn how to propagate them myself, I suppose.

Ha, the handle wasn't mine. It was my husband's from one of his geek forums. I used it and his password so that he could come and visit and see what I was doing... so far he isn't interested. He does humor me by coming over to the computer and reading some threads that I think are hysterically rip roaring funny though so I guess that counts. It's nice for him to be able to see that I am not the only one out there making one gardening mistake after the next. If I had it to do all over again, I would have selected WildLifeGardener. That's more me.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)
Well, keeping the balance is essential for wild life gardening, isn't it?

Most wildlife gardeners exclusively use native plants on their properties. The environmentalists, conservationists, restorationists, and wildlife gardeners are generally the purists. I'm one of the exceptions to the rule. I won't knowingly plant anything that is invasive but I will plant just about anything else that appeals to me in up tight around my home. I have a particular fondness for Tall Bearded Iris and have literally hundreds of them. And then I have this thing for Hosta and and and and... you get the idea. The rest of the areas on my property are indigenous species only and preferably species that originated locally.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'll get rid of as many of the invaders as I can and replace them with natives. Like you, I have my "pretties" near the house. Generally, they need more upkeep, anyway, and I don't want to water endlessly in the summer heat and no rain.

How much land do you have?

5 infested acres here in Illinois and the rest of the answer to your question is in a d-mail to you. .

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

I have the Hesperis matronalis mentioned/pictured. It seriousle reminded me of Lunaria annua in flower.......... Honesty is the local name for the purple or white flowers.... The Hesperis I finally identified, but it doesn't look like the wild Rockets around here which haven't taken in my garden! That means I bought the Hesperis matronalis from a nursery when Nature failed to give me the wild Rockets. Having read this thread, the seed heads which I cut the other day now will go into the trash.
My query pertains to Black-eyed susans. The local ones are considered invasive by the roots. I had one plant several years ago, and in the following year the clump was indeed very large. I kicked it out. I recently saw one with the same look/branching habit with yellow centres......... To me, it is the same beast. Alas, I don't know the Botanical name. I have grown Gloriosa Daisies (Island Sunset, Irish Eyes) and they come back 9 years out of ten as Gloriosas can............. but the word 'invasive' is not in the equation. So, how do I identify/name the invasive one here?
And I have to figure out the name of the wild Rockets, too!
Bill in SE Newfoundland zone 5 a

Hey Bill, how be you? Go check images of Rudbeckia hirta and see if that's what you've got up there. If that is what you have, it's indigenous to NF but sigh... it's a little bit aggressive and I've found myself whacking it back here. It's not invasive by our standards down here in the US and several Rudbeckia spp. are threatened or endangered although I don't know their status for Canada.

Bill, there are a few more that look sort of alike that are also indigenous to where you live. Look these up and see what you think-
Rudbeckia triloba
R. subtomentosa
R. laciniata
R. fulgida

My guess based on your basic desription of a branching habit is that you might not have a Black Eyed Susan there. I'm also thinking that if you've got a problem by you and if folk are referring to the problem as being invasive, maybe it is a Black Eyed Susan look alike called Thelesperma filifolium? That plant is indigenous down here but I don't think its range extends up to where you live and I could see those getting a foothold in that lovely land of yours. Look up photos of Thelesperma filifolium and see if that fits the bill (no pun intended). I could see those being referred to as Black Eyed Susans. Maybe other members can think of Black Eyed Susan look alikes that might be causing problems for you up north.

There is one other possibility but I've only seen it in Hawaii and the USDA zone where I saw it was I think a 10. I've heard it can handle a zone 8 but I am having difficulty believing it could have survived to come back to haunt you in a zone 5 but just for the heck of it check out Thunbergia alata. That thing was literally choking other plants when I saw it.

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Bill,
Great to hear from someone who lives in my favorite place on earth--Newfoundland. This is the first summer in a long time we haven't made it up your way and we're missing it terribly! We went to Trinity last summer and saw the "wave of Dame's Rocket" that Equilibrium described. It was indeed beautiful.

Bill, I looked in Bill and June Titford's Wildflowers of Newfoundand to see if I could find your "wild rocket." They indicate that they're not wild but have escaped from gardens and naturalized--Hesperis matronalis. Unless you mean the less showy Draba norvegica (Rock Whitlow-grass) or Cakile edentula (Sea-rocket), which are native in parts of the US, but I can't say for sure in Newfoundland.

You might start with MUN's Botanical Garden website http://www.mun.ca/botgarden/
or the Canada Biodiversity Information Network http://www.cbin.ec.gc.ca/

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about Canada's conservancy sites. You might also ask around in the Canadian Gardening site here at DG.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I only transplanted the purple Sweet Rocket, but ended up with white too. This was in 2003. I tore it all out last year digging out quackgrass. It makes the best spring show tho!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.