Water Cannas

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi any one growing any water cannas ? i started a bunch of seeds in late feb 4 are blooming . i have one hybrid that i did 4 years ago each year i plant the seeds from the seson before to see if it grows true so far it has its pink and yellow paul

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm growing bengal tiger very successfully in my pond...
Brittany

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

The one I started in my pond is now three. And the first one is just about ready to flower. Huge, beautiful plant.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Please, someone tell me about growing canna in water! .. do you have to put it in substrate? or just drop it in and anchor?

X

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

X- You have a pond? You just put it in a pot with something other than potting soil, top soil, etc. I use rocks and gravel, a lot of people use plain dirt. I have some right now though that I broke off another pot and they're in bog area anchored with large rocks. So you can do anyhting with them, let's face, canna like water. The thing is, you should not try to start a dormant plant in water, it must be actively growing or you risk losing it. I also try to keep an eye on any sitting close to the liner.......they can bust out of pots quickly and I see no reason why they couldn't puncture the liner given enough pressure.

Paul, I'm pretty sure I have Ra and Erebus- they look like them anyways LOL I know for sure they love the pond and are not too happy out of it. And they both set seed, the yellow very profusely than the pink. What was your parent plant, do you know? Pink and yellow- I would love to see a pic. I would love to trade some seeds, I only have the yellow right now, but the pink should be along shortly (it spent a lot of the spring under water due to wind :-( )

Lynn

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Lynn - No I don't have a pond (on my list of things to do) but my neighbor has and I just happen to have some Bengal Tiger Canna. It's one of those hard shell prefab thingys with a water fall and pump etc. She's got turtles n fish in it and has been wanting to put some plants in there too! I had no idea you could grow canna in water until I saw the thread on aquatic canna .. then figured you had to find pretty special hybrids since they were mentioning Karcheskis for seeds.

Anyway .. so I just dig up one of my canna's and put the roots in a mesh bag with some river rock and throw it in? Or do I need to strip off leaves that would be underwater?

X

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

hey X ill send you some water canna seeds not all cannas do that well in water ive been doing water cannas for 12 years . send me your addy and ill send you some yellows and pinks paul

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Az as soon as my Hybrid yellow and pink sets seeds ill send you some paul

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I grow lots of cannas in different water situations. So long as hot weather and sun, they do very well. In the strong growing times, cannas love water. The root systems they form are so different from same canna in a soil situation. Amazing ..
Youcan set the whole potted canna in water (cut holes in the bottom). You can also remove the canna from the soil, wash the roots, and just stabalize in water. Or special water growing pots. All work. Cannas also do very well in bog situations.

In the height of good growing times for cannas, most will do very well in water situations.
~Alice

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Paul,
If you get any extra special water cannas, I won't mind helping trial them ;-)
NOW is the season for good water growing here :-)
~Alice

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Alice as soon as those Endeavour x Mia Ping get a little bigger ill send you some up some are about 4iches allready there really good looking . i lost a couple that seemed weak. the rest are growing fast. i dont have any ponds now i lost mine in the hurracane 2 years ago but i use 20 gallon tubs i get from dollar store for six bucks i all so have a air stone in each one they seem to grow faster with the extra air . i have a yellow x red water canna that i got about 4 years ago i had a Ra and a Erubeas in the same pot. the crossed the seeds seem to grow true paul

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Paul- I would love that!

X- you don't have to strip off the leaves, but it wouldn't hurt the water quality if you did :-) They'll grow out of a mesh bag very quickly, some sort of container would really be better. You've got one lucky neighbor! Besides Brittany, I know quite a few others here that are growing bengal tiger in their ponds and it does very well- just make sure you get the soil off.

Lynn

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

would you overwinter them in the pond?.....bengal tiger or tropicana or australian in zone7

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You beat me to it jackie .. I was going to ask that question since my canna die back in the winter.

X

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

If these canna die back for you in the ground in winter then you will definitely lose them in the pond. They really must have roots and foliage to live in a pond, otherwise your tubers will rot.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

So I guess I pull them out of the pond in the fall, plant them in a pot with potting medium and winter them over in the greenhouse?

X

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

try heating your pond paul

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i heat my water canna water in the winter it gets a bit cold here in florida to paul

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

My ponds are pretty good sized earthen ponds, can't heat them..the canna seem to do fine around the edges..at least for the last 15 years the red king huberts die back to the ground and return in the spring with no damage.......I am just not sure about the tropicanas and the australians I got this year, sure would be easier if i could pond them

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Paul, you think it gets cold in FL then you need to be up north in the winter time. You will see a big difference! You will think FL is hot after that! LOL

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Pepper when it gets below 70 i put long pants on lol paul

When it gets that nice here we sigh with relief. Right now it is close to 97 degrees. But it is made better by a breeze thank god. Oh yeah, have a canna question for you. I dug up a canna yesterday that was dark brown all the way around, ragged and loose on top so i cut the top off and it was a dark brown and just a little bit of light brown was there too. Is it still good? No roots either. Been in the ground at least a month.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Pepper its rotted toss it out . some times if the ground is to cold or if it stays to wet that happens was that one from wal mart? paul

Yes it was from Walmart. I have one other that is like that also. I will double check it to be sure but will probably toss it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.