Solar Prism greenhouses

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know anything about this company? I can't seem to find much on the internet?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Here is the web address: http://www.solarprism.com.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Not the most informative web site is it?

Fulton, MO

I thought the same thing, JP

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Welllll....so did I! I had a phone call from these folks..trying to sell me a greenhouse. They were so eager ..it scared me! I let them give me their story.
Then I told them I had been in one of these greenhouses several years ago..and that it had turned yellow. They are fiberglass. Anyway...of course she had an excuse why ...and said that now their formula had changed.
I also told her I didn't think much of their website..no address, no fax number, etc.
And there were only two sizes...and she wanted me to take delivery THIS week..to get the special price. Needless to say..I didn't order from them.

Fulton, MO

Good. Very suspicious story. SB

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Stressbaby...yes! It sent up a red flag immediately. Also..the lady I talked with didn't have answers for some of my questions. She went to get her "boss" and put him on the phone...hmmmmm?????

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hmmm Indeed!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I got one of these about 4 years ago, used. I paid $350 for it but would never have spent the money they want for a new one. Mine is 8 x 16. It has yellowed but still works perfectly.

It has a "lip" or flange on the inside bottom that you cover with a little dirt. You place a little soil around the outside perimeter too. This along with the arch shape makes it windproof. Mine just survived Katrina. The only thing needing improvement in my opinion is a better way to secure the door. Mine has settled a little and the door did not close as securely as it did. I was just propping it closed with a board and now it is torn completely off by the storm. It can be fixed.

I like it because it is practically maintenance free. No air leaks so it heats very easily. I've had their salesmen call me about 3 times and it breaks their heart when they hear I already have one and what I paid for it. I hate to purchase anything from any company that does phone solicitations.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for responding Twiggybuds. The one I was in was yellowed too. But they tried to tell me they had a new formula now....that didn't do that.
And I have to wonder, if this greenhouse is so great, why don't you see more of them?????? Or hear more about them?????

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I think they are cost prohibitive. Also, they are made in WA state and the one piece construction means you can't get but 2 on a truck. I'd hate to pay the cross country freight. I love mine but if the opportunity hadn't presented it's self I'd have probably built one from pvc and plastic.

Meriden, IA

I bought mine in 1999, it has not performed as flawless as they lead you to believe but it is strong. My roof windows did not fit correctly and let all the heat out, it took 2 years of unrelentling phone calls to get someone to come and fix them. We are in cold country so to use it in the winter took considerable more than a little ceramic heater as they claim. The fiberglass stickers on the inside are nasty, they should have been sanded off. I have insulated it and weatherstrip around window and door. Mine is showing no sign of yellowing and I saw another one that was so hopefully they do have a new formula. They are rather high pressure, they caught me at a time where I was ready to buy. I'm surprised at how little information is on their website. I could write a book on this greenhouse but I'm satisfied with mine. My hubby and I spent a weekend helping a friend put up a bargain greenhouse kit off Ebay and it blew apart 2 weeks later, she is getting a Solar Prism today. I did tell her all the things to look for and not to let them get away without fixing them or withholding payment until they do. Their customer service is not the best, it's like, "You bought it, you live with it." Hope that is help to someone.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mailmam. I thought they were hi pressure too. If you have to order something today...or not get the price break..then..that sends a red flag to me!

Meriden, IA

I just got back from checking our Becky's greenhouse and if it would have been me, they would not have left it! I thought mine had problems...one roof window is overlarge, which will let the cold air out. The door fits good but the window in the door and the one in the back are absolutely pathetic!! They are too small, they gap, I was appalled but I tried to tell her gently that she will have big problems this winter. I told her if it was me, I would call the company in the morning, tell them all this and that she is stopping payment on the check until they get someone up to do it up right. With what I saw, I would tell anyone to stay away from Solar Prism, it is a total piece of crap! Mine looks like a cadillac compared to this one.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow..that's a real shame! I feel for her. I hope she gets them to make it right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.