looking for purple smoke tree!?

Wilmington, NC

Cotinus coggigryia "atropurpureum"... have a feeling Ill end up buying the darn thing off ebay! Anybody seen one of these in person? Stunning! Hope its maintenance free ... if anyone has one, let me know the pros and cons before I buy one!!??

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Nicole,
Here is a place that has Purple smoke tree.
http://www.musserforests.com/Shopping/Product.asp?ProductNo=PFRI

Sari

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

If you know of one in your area AND you have the patience , they are easy to layer . I have two decent size ones growing on my property .Rock On !! :)

Schenevus, NY

I think there are two( a smoke tree and a smoke bush) the bush is quite spreading(like an old lilac) I have been looking for one. /Bought a smoke tree last yr at an end of yr sale) still looking for the bush type. Sometimes you just gotta have something...
Never noticed before at the end of the threads that there was a next page button..oh no...more...

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Have/had 2 smoke bushes. Your not missing much.

Ashley Falls, MA

Sari, I beg to differ. I really love mine. Altho I've only had it two years, I admired smoke bushes in other gardens long before that. I cut mine back in the early spring which keeps it within bounds for my garden, it gets about 4' tall. If it weren't cut back I've read it would get to be a small tree, 20' high or so. This way I get to enjoy that really beautiful foliage. I have it in a bed with Hydrangea 'Tardiva' and Caryopteris and the combo is very pleasing. I've added Anemone 'Robustissima' to the mix and can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Anyway to each his own, but for me, the foliage is the thing. Have fun...j.

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Nicole...After reading this thread I was curious to find out what this tree looked like. I saw a picture and I loved it! Did you find one yet?
Carol

Ashley Falls, MA

Here's a pic of the leaves in mid-summer. It doesn't show the deep maroon foliage which holds for me through spring and most of summer, then a rich reddish purple in the fall. This is Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'. I believe there is also a straight form with green leaves. Also as I found out, not to be confused with Cotinus obvatus (American Smoketree) whose leaves are much larger and more oval shaped. Enjoy! j.
http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/cocogr3.htm

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My purple smoke tree is cotinus coggyria 'Royal Purple' and although it was new to me last year, shows great signs for this year! It stays deeply colored until fall. I didn't have many blooms last year (which produce the 'smoke' plumes) but have great hopes for this year. My soil is not great (read:clay) here in the NC mountains but it is doing well. I understand it could reach 10-15' without prunung.
-darius

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.