Portable Carport to Greenhouse?

Chico, CA

We have one of those portable carports where the cover is just on the top and about a foot down the sides. The supports are round like poles. It is 10 x 20 and I am thinking we could take off the metal covering and cover it with greenhouse material of some sort... has anyone ever done this with a carport? It is very ugly to me as a carport and we don't really need it for that (was here when we purchased the home) but I think it could be terrific as a greenhouse....
Any suggestions please...thanks, Dottie

Fulton, MO

I would think that one problem to work out early would be preserving the rigidity of the structure. I suspect that the roof and 1 foot side walls provide a substantial amount of support that would be lost if it were removed. Covering with polycarb or any rigid glazing material might get that structural rigidity back, but poly wouldn't.

You could use some cross-bracing along the side walls and cover with poly.

SB

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe you could try it out with the roof intact and see how it does? SHould still have lots of light with all the side walls?

SE PA, PA(Zone 6b)

I've done it. Used boards for cross bracing and end framing. By the time I got the boards, UV plastic, etc.etc., I probably could have put up a pretty good sized cold frame for the same amount. I do like what I have, however. Still need to get some work done on it and will then post pix. I'm in no hurry, however.

Oakhurst, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Dottie, I imagine the carport you are describing is like the kind sold at Costco. It has PVC tubing for support and rip-stop nylon fabric over the top and down the sides. When I was looking at this item at Costco, they had the PVC poles inserted into a stand that raised the whole unit up about 4 feet off the ground for better viewing. It occured to me that I could do the same thing at home by sinking a slightly larger diameter pipe into the ground and then inserting the PVC part way into the pipe. You could do the same thing to make your structure secure. Then when you remove the nylon canopy, it would retain its structural integrity and allow you to easily cover it in greenhouse material. You could also make your greenhouse taller than the original carport if you wanted. Hope this offers some new ideas for you. Corabelle

Chico, CA

Thanks for the suggestions. My carport is not like the Costco ones. It is made more sturdy with metal pipe like material for supports. I think with the wood cross braces it will do fine. I don't think it would let enough light in unless we took off the metal top and replaced it with greenhouse material...but I may be able to use the metal that is on the top for the sides...Dottie

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I had wondered the same and thought maybe to make it sturdier, leave a few strips of the metal alternating with the greenhouse panels. The ones I have seen are huge and I wonder if the cost might be counterproductive to buying/building a smaller greenhouse...

Chico, CA

I may have access to a bunch of old windows for the sides. I'm thinkin' it would be really cool to use old windows...thanks for the suggestions....Dottie

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Dottie,

You are making me look at all the "carports" for sale. Bear with me while I explain .... every year we put up polly panels on our wrap-around porches. This works very well since we have the heat from the house which helps to warm the "greenhouse" http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/455041/ & http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468890/ and there is easy access, just out the front door, but each year it will get harder for us to do because we're getting older so I decided I want a 'for real year-round greenhouse'. The problem we have is the only available day workers are Mexicans and we do not speak Spanish, but that problem is resolved if we buy a carport because the company will set it up for us and we can finish out the remainder.

I presently have a 20x65 greenhouse which is the cover for our English Bulldog exercise runs. They can't tolerate extreme hot or cold so this protects them from rain, wind and extremes... most of the time they are inside but must go out to get exercise and to potty. I do NOT want this type of structure for a greenhouse to winter over my plants. Why?? Because it is too tall, heat rises instead surrounding the plants and the heat builds up quickly on sunny days. I have to constantly monitor my "big babies".

Points to consider:

1) On my porches there was only sunlight from one side yet the plants survived, most flourished, depends upon how you want to use your greenhouse. To winter over plants and sprout seeds in the spring with heating cables, I think it would be great just like it is with the metal roof if you added thermostate controls exhaust fans at each end, a heating cable for the seed sprouting tables etc. which you would also have to do if you took off the metal roof.

2) If you want to grow tomatoes and peppers in the winter.... that's a different situation all together.

3) Condensation .... there is going to be condensation I just don't know if it will drop straight down or run down to the sides.

4) Heat buildup ... will there be more or less with the fabricated top versus a poly top? This is the problem I have with the greenhouse being used as a covered dog run and the automatic controls are not sensitive enough so be sure to invest is good ones.

I hope I've been of assistance.

Judy

Chico, CA

Thanks Judy for your comments...I do need the light as we are in the pines and don't get alot of direct sunlight. So I would have to take off the metal top and put something up that would let light in...and also carry the snow load. We get a few inches and that stuff is really heavy. I still haven't worked on this yet... too many other things in the way. Like putting up a fence. That has taken all summer...
Other comments welcome....Thanks..Dottie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.