compost and grass clippings with chemicals

Lafayette, CO(Zone 5b)

Is it okay to put grass with pesticides and non organic fertilizer on the compost. Will the heat get rid of the bad chemicals? I have access to grass clippings, but I don't know where they are from. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Personally, I wouldn't. Many commercial products are highly complex mixtures - combinations of combinations - and often remain in toxic form far longer than the manufacturers claim. Even when breaking down some of the components may still be active and/or morph into other combinations. We just don't know. Some chemicals can remain in the soil for many seasons. I especially would hesitate to have such compost around food crops.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

As an organic gardener, I wouldn't do it.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Greetings fellow Gardenmermaid!

Our city composts all yard waste and offers it free to residents. Many of the grass clippings come from lawns that have been treated with a "weed and feed" type of product that contains an herbicide for broadleaf plants. That herbicide remains on the lawn clippings and seems to stay in the compost. We stopped using the free compost from the city because it was killing our plants! It may be fine on a lawn area, but I wouldn't use it on anything else. You risk contaminating your organic garden if the grass has been treated with something nasty. Any possibility you could find out where the clippings come from?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.