Cuttings...

Pleasanton, CA

Hey everyone,
I have a few japanese maples in my backyard, and I was wondering if I could get some cuttings and make more. How should I go about doing it and how long will it take?

Thanks!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The most accepted method of propagating JM's is grafting...although layering and cuttings can be done ...I have NOT had much success with cuttings...and most nurseries don't like them cause they seem to be short lived for ubnknown reasons...many keep cuttings for at least 2 years to be sure they will make it...and I have found most cultivars don't root easily or AT ALL. Of course nurseries probably also don't like cuttings or other non grafting methods cause there is no way of telling if the tree has been seed grown which is not true to parent plant...where grafted cultivars are basically clones...They don't want to buy a green bloodgood ;>0. Grafting is a project and requires alot of work and unless you have lots of time, money, and patience I wouldn't suggest doing it on a lark ...Try the cuttings but be aware they most likely won't work and let us know how it turns out of course!!!. David

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

tg7, I also want to propagate JM's, I would like to bud graft them, I wonder where you can buy root stock? hostajim1

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

In your area you might want to try Heritage Seedlings 4199 75th Ave SE

Salem, OR 97301

503-585-9835

I have no idea what they are all about but a mentor of mine uses them ...might be worth a call.... David

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Heritage is Numero uno!

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.