Has anyone tried clematis this way??

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi all,

Has anyone grown clematis in a hanging basket? Seems like it's worth a try. I will probably try it with a type that is particularly hardy, unless I want to bring the basket into the garage for the winter. Already too much stuff in there. Obviously the drainage cannot be beat. You just have to stay on top of the watering, though I always use the polymer crystrals in my hanging (moss) baskets.

Also, which clematis varieties can you recommend (from experience) that do well in shadier conditions? Thanks lots.

Regards,
Victor

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Victor, I know it can be done but only for one season. Then the vine has to go into the ground or it will not survive. It just outgrows the basket.

I would try one of the new varieties that are called "patio" clematis. They stay reasonably small and bloom continously. Try 'Cezanne' or 'Picardy'. I have seen both at HD and Lowes for around $25

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you. Do you think I would still have to move it to the ground if I use a very large basket - 16 inch top diameter and 10 inches deep? Thanks again.

Victor

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

victor,

Clematis tend to grow a very extensive root system so you might be able to squeeze more than one season out of a hanging basket but it wouldn't look it's best.

Good luck!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

hmm. would that apply to potted clematis also? I have two in pots that I haven't gotten around to planting, will I lose them if I don't transplant inground? thanks for your help

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.