minature garden

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all! I wanted to show you the minature garden I made yesterday. I put it in my new front garden.
Thanks for looking.
Marcy

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Marcy./ that is so very cool! I want a life size version!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy...That is soooo cute!!!! I love it...Pauletta

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Marcy, that is so cute. Are those real plants or artificial ones? I need your permission to create one of my very own. Please post this over in the garden art forum, that is so unique.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

marcy, that beautiful!

here's the mini garden i made.

belinda

Thumbnail by daylily970
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Defoe.. they have miniature evergreens just for this type of thing,.. very tempting

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

HI Everybody! Thank you so much!! Defoecat...those are all real plants. Like Jazz said you can buy minature plants...kinda pricy..but soooo cute!!
Daylily...I LOVE yours too!! Wherever did you find those minature benches and chairs...and gazebo? I have looked till I am blue in the face!!????
I might have to make another one...LOL!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ohhh and I meant to add another view of it! Duhhh!! And I need to learn how to spell too...lol..miniature! I knew that didn't look right!! Thanks Jazz!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Athens, OH

Very cute. I really like the bird house as an extra touch!
Question...Does it come with minature size weeds!

ROX

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Rox! We shall see!! It wouldn't surprise me at all!!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooooooooooh! Just love the miniature gardens!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Weeds are never produced in miniature. LOL. So marcy, tell me where do you find the miniature plants. Can you supply a link? I have never seen anything like this, and it would be a nice focal point in a bed that I made this year. I want all the details you can supply. I think they would make nice gardening gifts for special friends.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

http://meadowview.com/ welllllllll....obviously, I don't know how to do links..LOL!
But that is the address of their website.

Anyway..thank you Moonlit!

Defoecat....... the above address is the nursery that I go to. They had many different miniature shrubs. I think also..that Springhill Nursery carries them..in Tipp City, Ohio. I also bought my miniature gazebo, birdbath, birdhouse, watering can, garden tools..and maybe the wheelbarrow there too. (I had the wheelbarrow)
The tree...was a seedling that someone gave me....it's called a Cornelian Cherry.
It is not miniature..but just thought I would stick it in there since it was so small.
The white picket fence sections...I found at JoAnn Fabrics store! The Wire vines that are on the arbor aren't miniature either. I figured I could just keep them trimmed. And in the flower pot is a sweet allysum..just one that I grew from seed.

The box the garden is in...was in my basement. Previous owners here had used it to store canning jars. I just painted it white...added some landscape fabric to the bottom to hold the soil..(bottom is slatted). The stone sides of my pathway were medium sized rocks from the field outside..and the "gravel" is chicken grit!
I think that about covers it. Oh...I did find today, that I had a rooster and hen..and some more flower pots that I am going to add...(I think!)
Just use your imagination..and have fun with it!! And send pictures please!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

omg.. lol.. I was thinking.. I have seen those mini evergreens at Meadowview.. but I didn't say it since I figured no one was close enough to care about a local GH.. lol

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Jazz!! Heck..I go to ALL the gardencenters around this area!! LOL..at least once a season...and Meadowview is my all time favorite..so we go there a lot!

I just found my tags for the dwarf plants...so posting names here!

Picea glauca 'Jean's Dilly' ...the dwarf Alberta spruce
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Tsukumo'.....Dwarf Sawara Cypress
Muehlenbeckia complexa...wire vine
And the other one I guess I didn't find the tag for..lol! But it is the dwarf barberry.

Hmmmmmmm..I just noticed..that DID turn into a link after all...LOL..well what do I know????? Back to work......!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

These are darling miniatures! Howie and I have been thinking about doing some bonsai, but this is even cooler. Baker's Acres in Alexandria has some great mini conifers, sedums and alpines.

NW, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh I love the miniatures!
How fun!!! Thanks for sharing those pics.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Marcy.. who knows, we may have browsed right past each other..

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks gardenwife and Mareistude!
Jazz....I KNEW I had seen you somewhere before!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

lolol.. Yep.. that was me trying to edge you away from the minis! lol sheesh you didn't have to push!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well Jazz...did you get yours??????? I DID save you some!!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Around the Cincinnati area, Greenfield Plant Farm has a lot of miniature evergreens.

There is also a guy that comes to all of the Perennial schools at the co-op extension service in Clermont County and has a great selection of miniature trees and conifers.

Another place you can get miniature and dwarf conifers is
www.stanleynursery.com

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

marcy ~ the gazebo and the house are tea lights holders. i got the furniture and gazebo at the amish flea market in berlin, oh. the house i got at jo-ann fabrics.

belinda

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Moonlit and daylily970!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Both of your gardens are so lovely! I have no imagination what so ever to do anything like that! I tell you what though, I do have a few (lol) 'mini weeds' you could put in there if you would like? ;0)
Lea

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Lea!! Thanks..but no thanks!! I have enough weeds!!! And there is only one miniature garden...so far! That is just two different views of it. :)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I was talking about daylilly970's too, they are both so cool, when I get time I really would like to do something like this but I would have to borrow your imagination, now I do stick critters in my planters and sometimes that startles people when they look at them, I like critters like snakes and lizards.
You need a critter in yours, you could put one in the little pool or let him bask on the path lol
Lea

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Actually, I have since put in a rooster and a hen! Do those count as critters????

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I see you found a way to get out of planting all those window boxes! LOL That is really cute! You may have to come play mini gardens with my girls. They really love yours.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Chele!! I'll have you know...I have planted 5 window boxes..and plan to do the rest tomorrow! (I hope!)
We had a terrible storm go through here this past Thursday afternoon late. It messed up a bunch of things..plants...trees...birdhouses...etc. We have been busy cleaning up ever since..and still not done!! Had 70 mph winds and LOTS of hail damage too!
Between that and the late frost..and cold....things weren't looking too good here!
But there is hope...WARM air now...LOVE IT!!!
And yesssssss...I'll come play mini gardens with the girls!! Thanks!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Bummer about the storm damage, Marcy. The storms really bypassed us, thank goodness. We're trying out different fans-in-the-window configurations to see how long we can forego turning on the air.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Gardenwife! Think we finally got things cleaned up..but sounds like another thunderstorm is near by..geez! Dave still has to dig out the stubs of birdhouse posts...and then put them back up...shorter...lol!!

Well... at least when you get older, you don't seem to require as much cool air....at least I don't. Altho today it might be nice...but I haven't turned it on. The heat bill this winter was bad enough!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Here too Marcy...
My Elec bill went from $112 in Dec to $378 in Jan. and $286 in Feb, then back to $143 in March and $96 in April...It is the high 80's and low 90's now and I have yet to turn on the A/C.. We are using fans out here on the screen porch...I just cannot afford those high bills..We have ceiling fans in the bedrooms that we use at night...I told Jim that he'd best get used to it..because there is no central air in that house up there....I thrive on heat.. but he is really weird... he likes the house at about 80 in the winter and grouses when it hits 75 out here in the spring/summer!!

Dusty

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So far, with fans bringing air in the back of our house and another pulling it back out through a window in the front of the house, it's bearable inside. We have the shades all down, too. It's not as bright and cheerful as I'd enjoy, but the air wasn't needed. And the air out on the patio, now that it's in the shade, is quite comfy this evening. :)

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

It hit a record 96 here today... the screen porch was at 86, but the fans kept it bearable and its down to about 78 out here now.. We have two of those occilating fans on the tall stands.. one for him and one for me...I just dont know how people on fixed income are going to survive with these energy bills going up...I guess its back to the 1940's/50's before A/C, and back to woodstoves and fireplaces...

Dusty

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Dusty, I know what you mean about the fixed income!! Everything goes up but our income!! It's not EVEN funny!! I can live without air conditioning..even in my car. Never was addicted to it.
It got up to 94 here today...way hot for Memorial Day! But supposed to cool down some the rest of the week I think.
Gardenwife...that's the secret...blinds down...hot air going out and cool air in...when there is cool air...lol!!
I remember my mother always used to close up our house...windows, blinds and all! That kept the hot air out..and it stayed cool inside!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh, sorry to hear about the storms! We've had two good hail storms and a coule of thunderstorms. Some of my plants look like swiss cheese! My canopy got nailed as well. Bummer.

So, now that I have found your post again, how many boxes do you have done? LOL Do you need any other plants?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Michele...well...I still have 5 to go. I found out I only have 13 boxes..instead of 14. Can't count! I couldn't get much done yesterday because of the intense heat. Had to wait till almost dark to work. And today had a cookout with the kids. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit cooler.
I appreciate you asking about the plants..but think I have it covered! What you all gave me really helped out! I will take pictures when I get them all finished. Of course it takes a while for them to look like something!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Darn, guess you won't be coming to get plants then. LOL One of these days, I'll get you here or come to see you. :)

This heat has really been something! It's bad when I turn the hose on me as much as the plants!

I can't wait to see your pictures!

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh Marcy that is so cute... What a great job.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.