First Canna of 2006

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I woke up this morning and was greeted by my first Canna bloom!

This is a 2 year old plant I grew from seed that I collected from a neighbors plant. The parent plants are red. Interestingly, out of 12 seeds from the same plant, I have 3 yellow with a hint of orange, 1 red and yellow, 5 orange and red, 1 red, true to the parent and 2 oranges.

Xeramtheum

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful! I'm going to try at them again. I got tired of fighting the bugs in the past and quit. You've given me motivation to try again.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I know what you mean .. I have a system that seems to be working .. the first time i see a sown leaf, I know its time to mix up some insecticide and stick it in a spray bottle. It's very easy to carry around and squirt a shot into unfurling leaves. I also take an exacto knife and cut the silk after I have sprayed .. so far it seems to be working and I like the idea of spray on demand and not just general spraying. I pretty much do that with all my plants and always keep a spray bottle filled with insecticide, so on my daily walkabouts I can take care of problems before they get out of hand. I use Orthenex outside and Pyola, a plant based insecticide inside the greenhouse .. the Pyola is safe for the polycarbonate walls if they get sprayed on.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.