Midwest strawberries

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

My family loves strawberries and last year I picked over 15 gallons by May 29th. This year I have only picked a couple of gallons so far and they are pretty puny. Any one else having problems with them this year? Half of these are in the first year of production and half in the second year. It doesn't seem to make much difference though. I am thinking it might be due to the drought this winter but just am not sure. I was really looking forward to seeing how this new variety I put in last year would do too. I had ordered Starks Crimson King last spring. The plants all look healthy at least and I'll do some more fertilizing for next year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My strawberries are still growing, no ripe ones yet, but the plants are setting fruit (quarter size by now) like gangbusters, runners are invading my patio, and the leaves are pushing the critter cage off the plants.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

They are actually starting to do better now. I picked 2 gallons this afternoon and they were mostly decent produce. I'm still thinking the problem is weather related. We had some hot weather then it turned coolish with two weeks of monsoons then hot again. I guess I should just be thankful I'm getting what I am. :)

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I only had about 5 plants come back from last year, I had to replant. I think over the winter I should have watered them once in a while.

Do you mulch yours over winter?

Linda

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

2pugdogs- No, I hadn't watered them over winter until about the end of February when I noticed how bad the back lawn needed water. I watered it all then but some of the lawn suffered too. I also don't mulch them. Winter before last was so mild the leaves never winter killed but they did this year in December during that one real cold spell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.