Roadside pink roses what are they? (and advice to root 'em)

Sharpsburg, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know the name of those beautiful pink climbing roses that are blooming on the roadside now? I'd love to know. But i do know how to make them root so you can get some yourself!!

you'll need:
rooting hormone
weed fabric
fertilized potting soil

1. Get permisson from roseowner to "operate" on their rose.
2. on the rose itself, find a medium/short branch. (not too long; you don't want new roots to have to support too much rose). About 1/3 of the way down, clip/snip the leaves off close to the stem. NOTE: do NOT cut throught the stem. You only want to wound the vine. the sucker must continue to receive nutrients from the mother plant.
3. lay down your weed fabric. place a layer of potting soil 2-3" deep on top of the weed fabric.
4. "Paint" the wounds with rooting hormone, covering all the nodes you removed. any wound on the stem should receive some rooting hormone. Place the wounded stem into/on the layer of potting, making sure ti makes good contact with the dirt.
5. cover stem with additional layer of potting soil, and water.

After about 60 days, you can come back, cut the stem on the side CLOSEST to the mother plant, and voila! you have your own rose. simply pick up the weed febric, transport back home, and plant. Don't leave the weed fabric over the roots when you plant it at home, though. The weed fabric is only there to make transporting easier.

What happens is each place you wound on the stem should put out it's own roots, forming a root ball that you can then remove from the mother plant. I'm not exactly sure about the time frame needed for the nrew roots to establish themselves, but i think 60 days should do it. (maybe someone else can chip in with the right time frame. )

Thanks!

B.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

BLUE,
I believe I read about the wild pink rose at the rose forum the other day. I'll try to find you the thread and link it. There is a HUGE pink one growing behind my church at the edge of the parking lot. I am planning on helping myseld to SEVERAL nice canes in the near future- lol!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

We always called them "Seven Sister " Roses!! Because they usually have a cluster of seven buds!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

blue,
here is the link: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/600571/

I believe they are Dorothy Perkins. I know around here, these pink roses are EVERYWHERE!! I just can't "figger" out how they got there.

This message was edited May 20, 2006 5:37 PM

Sharpsburg, GA(Zone 7b)

Sweet! I knew i could count on ya'll!! I saw some more this weekend i need to approach the owners about.

Of course, where i'll put them, i have no idea.

B.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

One idea you could do with your wild Roses.
DH created an arch out of an old trampline frame,add a swing
and a few of the wild Roses and TAA,DAA

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

georgia,
That is STUNNING!!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I have been looking at those! There are some on the corner where a gas station is going up that I've been tempted to stop and ask if I can dig....Neat arch! Really neat!

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Now, THAT is a creative idea for recycling! Good work and really beautiful roses... Sharon

Lakeland, GA

Why would you want to waste space on roses that only bloom once a year when there are so many wonderful re bloomers??? I too used to love the roadside roses.... But they go nutzo and poor bloomtime. Please dont take this as criticism...it is in no way shape or form meant to hurt anyones feelings! I personally just dont have the space for something that does not perform all summer long!! That is my opinion and you all know what is said about those!
Lisa

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I for one am blessed and fortunate to have the room with lots of pasture fence to grow climbers/ramblers. I like those type of roses b/c they are tough and obviously thrive on neglect. That's a much needed trait in my garden- lol! In my area with all of the construction going on, a lot of the natural areas are being destroyed. I like the fact that I saved a piece of a rose from the wrecking ball, so to speak.

edited for punct.

This message was edited May 27, 2006 1:00 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Here are pix of the pink rose growing behind my church. I took cuttings today and snapped these pix. I was waiting 'til it was almost out of bloom to get cuttings but I should have taken the pic a couple of weeks ago when it was in its full glory. It was amazing to see it all up in the trees. I had mentioned it to several folks at church and they didnt know it was there. I couldn't believe they hadn't ever noticed that sea of pink behind the church- lol!!! You can tell from the size of the thing that it has been there many years.

As you see form this pic, it is growing up a tree. I have a LOT of trees in my yard that I would love to see look like this- lol!

This message was edited May 27, 2006 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Some of this rose was growing in deep and total shade- amazing.....

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Bluecole, thanks. My husband and I have just finished renovating/bldg our "farm home" in Wilkes county - a two room 1790s log cabin that we completely renovated, plus an add on out the back (seriously, who can live in just two rooms these days?). Anyway, my husband has dreamed for years of transplanting the GA wild roses, as we call them, to the fences of our "future" (and now current!) home. I took cuttings of dozens of plants growing in our fields (but no where near our home, unfortunately) and tried to root them. Only one took, and now it is suffering from mold (I covered it too tightly). Can the entire plant be uprooted and transplanted (the plants are on our property, just not where we want them)? Importantly, WHEN can they be uprooted... in the fall? The winter? Helpful hints, anyone?
PS - for the person who couldn't imagine planting these wild roses, I do understand your goals and I practice that philosophy at our Atlanta house, BUT that approach is what keeps folks from planting oak trees.... they don't get instant/continuous satisfaction. I love indigenous (or at least heritage) plants, so our goal is to plant common GA species around our "new" very old farm. And as another poster commented, the darn things, once rooted, are almost impossible to kill. For a farm we will only see on weekends for years to come (retirement is at least 20 years away), I need hardy, drought resistant plants. :-) On that note, recommendations on what to plant are welcome!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Lawyer,
I applaud your efforts to use heirloom or indigenous plants!! I also sort of envy you your new "old homeplace". That has been my dream to buy an old farm stead.

I don't have all that much success at rooting roses or moving roses myself as I am somewhat of a rose newbie. I know if you post this on the rose forum you will get good advice from those great folks there. Also I think there was a thread addressing the very topic of how/when to uproot and replant a rose. I'll see if I can find it.

Do you have the Cherokee rose? While it isnt native to Ga, it is out state flower. I will tell you though that she needs PLENTY of room as this thing is a thorny- but gorgeous- monster. If you want some I can try rooting cuttings for you. I have PLENTY to work with- lol! Also if you need a source for the wild roses let me know. There is a huge area [that I took pics of] behind my church. I was told by the pastor's wife to get as much as I wanted. That area will be bulldozed in about a year or so anyway to make way for church expansion..... :(

You know, you have GOT to post pics of your farm and log cabin!!

Lakeland, GA

My secret to rooting roses is 2 liter pepsi bottles.Cut off the bottom of bottle,take off screw on lid and push down into soil....acts like a mini greenhouse.When there is no condensation in bottle its time to water.Also if you scar the pieces you want to root where you pull the leaves off....scar it down to the white part.....then dip in water...shake off excess.....dip in rooting hormone..shake off excess.....use pencil to make hole in soil...stick the cutting and firm soil around it.THe pop on your bottle greenhouse and set in shade to root.It should root in 6 weeks or so.OH dont cut off the nubs where the leaves attatched to stem....just a little nick then peel it down to white.I hope this is clear directions.........much easier to show then to tell how to do it.
Lisa

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Berrygirl, you are so sweet. I may be able to get some Cherokee roses from my in-laws, but if not, I'll let you know - THANKS for the offer!

Lisa, that is GREAT advice on the 2 liter bottles. I can't wait to try it! Now I think I may have thrown out my "dead" cuttings too soon. :-( I should have come here first! THANK YOU!

As soon as our farm looks like something other than a preserve for poison ivy, I will be sure to post pictures. Phyllis

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a photo of the unfinished 1790s log cabin/new house (top floor and out the back are new). I will post another photo of the inside of one of the log room that actually has an "Indian shooting hole" - it faced west, toward Indian (oops.. Native American) settlements. Wish I could figure out how to post two photos at once.

Thumbnail by lawyergardener
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry this is off topic, but I was asked for photos! :-) Here's the inside of the west side log cabin room - note the "Shooting Hole" on the west side near the fireplace. As I noted earlier, the west was the "frontier" side and faced the Native American settlements. We plan to put a pane of glass in it and cover with a shutter for a conversation piece! I will post one more photo of the view from the front porch... you guys can see the field, pond and trees and tell me what plants and trees need to go where. 8-)
Phyllis

Thumbnail by lawyergardener
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Lawyer,
Wow- I am in love with your house!! I can just see lots of old roses rambling all over it. THANKS for posting the pix. If you want to, when you get more pix and/or have made more landscaping or bldg progress, you can post on my "Show us Your Home pt 2" thread on the Photos forum. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/605667/#new

As you can tell I love to look at photos of yards, houses and plants- lol!

Edited to add link.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 12:34 PM

Lakeland, GA

LOL if I root you all the roses you can grow can I move in too?!?!
Lisa

Sharpsburg, GA(Zone 7b)

Jeez!! go away for a few days and it grows!!

hehe

I got permission yesterday to get some of the roses i've been eyeing.
Of course, it's getting to the point to where i'm going to need a specific area for all my rooting pots. I've only got

2 catalapa trees
1 easter rose
1 unknown bush from Fla.
1 unknown vine (from a bag of humus!)
1 climbing rose

Soon, i'll add more catalapa trees. . . they were my grandfathers, and he'd get a kick out of me giving them away. (which i plan to do when i get more and they get established.)

B.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.