Oxalis

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

I know there are very weedy types but there are also some beauties. And growers keep coming up with new ones.

This is Oxalis deppei 'Iron Cross'

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis Burgundy

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis Sunset Velvet

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis Irish Mist

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis Zinfandel

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis Molten Lava

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis purpurea

Thumbnail by jooolster

Oxalis vulcanicola

Thumbnail by jooolster
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I grow the alpine types. This is 'Ione Hocker'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

O. squamata

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

O. obliquifolia

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and the ever popular O. adenophylla

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I love all the pictures - I only have one, Iron Cross. I sure hope u guys have put these pics in the PF.. please?

Nice ones, Todd.

Here is O. lasiandra. It has beautiful dark pink flowers and these wagon wheel-shaped leaves.

Thumbnail by jooolster

Todd - maybe you can identify a couple. This one is very aggressive, but has beautiful dark pink flowers. Dies back in summer.

Thumbnail by jooolster

And this one is a gentle spreader with pale pink flowers. It dies back in summer.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I also have the Iron Cross. It was a gift from a mail order house.
Now I give away hundreds every Spring.
Not hardy here, though.
Andy P

Here is another Sunset Velvet growing in quite a bit of shade. It's interesting how the colors change with the exposure.

Thumbnail by jooolster
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Joolster, I am more familiar with the South American and African bulbous types than the types you are growing. Most of yours I've never heard of! (except the O. deppei which is available everywhere).

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I stick to the alpine types. My mother once had an oxalis with plain pink flowers and it took over the entire garden! Well that's what my memory tells me! Never again!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

jooolster,
Where do you get all your oxalis? I have oxalis purpurea and one named "Pink Princess" that I love and would love to get more.

P

Blenheim, New Zealand

I have just got this one called O massoniana. still trying to get a better pic I have mainly gone for the alpine types too, except for Oxalis purpurea. but then I have not seen the other before . and they also look lovely with there foliage.

Thumbnail by bootandall
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That orange one is very unique! Wouldn't mind getting my hands on that species.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

jooolster all your Oxalis are awesome! Luv the Oxalis vulcanicola!! Is this one a type of succulent??

Todd as always you have such neat alpine ones!

bootandall the orange one is definitely an unique one!!
:) Donna

Blenheim, New Zealand

the flowering seems a bit shy compeared to some of the others. but then it is new.
this one is great to O vericolor

Thumbnail by bootandall

Beautiful Oxalis versicolor! I just found and ordered it.

The orange one is very nice also even though orange is my least favorite color. I'd never guess it was an oxalis looking at the leaves.

Bigred - I get my oxalis wherever I can. Proven Winners has now made some really nice ones that I find at local nurseries, Brent & Becky's Bulbs has them, Logee's, Plant Delights.

Here's another one I have growing in a pot. It forms columns from the stems. Very different. Maybe some form of O. carnosa.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Horsens, Denmark

Oxalis lovers?
Nice to see, they are more or less the only thing I collect.
I prefer the woodlands, or “wild” oxalis, but they are hard to get here.
Does not seem as nurseries have them.
I have about 60 in my collection.
The south africans are the hardes to grow, as the climate here is to cold, but a headed greenhose does the trick (very expensive to heat though)
Joolster you have a very fine collection of the succulent ones.
Have tried growing them but always end up killing them. I thing I water them to much.
Do you know the name of this one?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2300576

Some of my favorittes
Acetosella

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

Acetosella rubra

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

Oregana

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

Last oen before I get carried away :o)
Rio de janeiro, has lots and lots ofyellow flowers when it blooms

Thumbnail by zest
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful oxalis, Zest! You would never know that's what they were from the flowers.
:) Donna

Zest - beautiful oxalis! I'm glad to hear there are other oxalis lovers. Here in California we have some very invasive types so most people cringe when you say the word oxalis.

I have a similar one to your Rio de janeiro. It's from Logee's called Silver & Gold. Lots of yellow flowers.

Thumbnail by jooolster

And here is the same O. vulcanicola from my picture above. It got so long I had to hang it from a tree.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Horsens, Denmark

Yes there are not many of us out there, at the moment I am making a home page about oxalis, but will not be finished till end of sommer.
Let me se. Are you posibly thinking of “PEST” capre? :o)
Actually been looking for the one with spots and the one with out, but seence it`s a “weed”, it is not easy to find.
A nice janeiro, has it ever lost its leaves? Aperently it is common, at least in colder places, grown in side of course.
You must have magic fingers with the succulent, it looks magnifisent.
How do you grow them?
The one I was asking about could be crassipens alba.

A south african one, purpurea alba

Thumbnail by zest
Blenheim, New Zealand

jooolster , zest. Wonderfull to see so many. keep showing .

Horsens, Denmark

PerennialGirl, yes most of the time it can be difficult to se what is what.
The cat misplaced the tags many time, giving me some work.
Now I writte the name on the pots :o)

Bootandall, I would love to go to New Zealand and visit the nurseries, they have some fine varieties. You probably know this one as yam (o. tuberosa/oca) I understan it is very common in NZ. A worm eat most of last year harvest, only tree bulbs left, so I did not get to taste them. Hopfully there will be more luck in the fall.

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

Oh, Joolster I forgot to mention, Rio and Silver and Gold is the same oxalis

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

When I am at a nursery picking out plants to buy, if there is an oxalis hitchhiking in the pot, they will try to pull it out, and I make sure they do not.

Like yall, I love oxalis. But I didn't know there were so many. I had Iron Cross for a while. It kept going dormant in the heat of Ft Lauderdale. Not sure where that thing ended up in the move now. Could be out in the garden somewhere waiting to wake up.

Molly
:^))))

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Molly :o)))
Good thing you rescue the poor things, they deserve a better reputation.
There are about 800 different oxalis, sigh….
If you plantet the iron cross in the garden it should come up.
It is originally from Mexico/Central America, but can stand temp
down to –5C hmm… let me se that would be 20-22F ich?.
How cold does it get in FL anyway, be nice to know.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Zest,

Here, where I am now living the lowest air temp this past winter was 17, for a very few hours. The ground temp never froze.

The Iron Cross was growing in a pot for the longest time. Since I have moved, just this winter now, it may have ended up in the ground......I just don't know.

By the end of summer, I'm sure all secrets of the garden will be known.

:^)))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.