water saver crystals

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am an organic gardener who also likes to use native plants and their cultivars whenever possible. When I posted on the Heuchera forum about the sensitivety of tiarellas to the lose of moisture, water saver crystals in the soil were recommended. I have not done any research on these yet but am suspicious or cautious of non organic amendments to the soil. Is any one in this forum familiar with the pros and cons of this product?
Thanks, Pixie

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

I use them in my containers. I've noticed that the plants that have them don't need to be watered as much as the containers that do not have them. The product I use is made of a polymer which is safe for the enviroment and non toxic. The package actually says that the polymer will break down in soil over time (I think like 2 years).

Just as a side note, the crystals are fun to play with as they expand from a sugar sized crystal to a rock sized gelly crystal when exposed to water. My students at the school I teach at are fascinated with them.

Happy Gardening,

LD :)

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

How do you use them in the garden for existing plants? Can you sprinkle on top of the soil? Do you need to dig your plant up and amend the soil then replant? I think it sounds like it might help my astilbes and dahlias. They always get unhappy with me for not watering enough.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

There are two different kinds of crystals - - one that dissolves within the first year or so, and one that lasts for several seasons. Robin, these crystals have to be worked deed into the soil to be of any use. As much water as dahlias require, I don't think the crystals would help much. You might be just as well off with a deep layer of mulch (and maybe supplement water with a soaker hose for a weekly deep watering).

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Nat. Great succinct answer!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hate to be a slave to the hose! I laid down soaker hoses in most of my beds last summer and actually had time in the evenings where I didn't have to spend holding the hose. And then I discovered the wonder of timers for the hoses.....oh my!! Free at last!

But I do use the polymer crystals in all my hanging baskets and many of my container plants. The crystals make a big difference early in the summer, but I've found that they do tend to break down by late in the summer. I found a site a while back that explained the differences in the brands, but haven't been able to put my fingers on it again.

I started adding hydrated coir to "Nat's special secret potting mix" and that has made a very noticable difference in water retention in my containers. I haven't added any to my beds but I bet it would help. Remind me Saturday Robin and I'll show you some. Once you put your hands in it, you will understand why this product is so good.

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=SCB310

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I bought some crystals I was going to use in my heat strip then I realized that I would have to dig down deep and put them in because you want your roots to go deep...

I was going to xeriscape also then I realized duh it would only help if put where the roots are so now I am going to use it in my containers but I still occasionally amend with vermiculite in my garden which also has water retentive qualities it cheaper and you can buy it cheap at gardening centers make sure you buy horticulutural grade...

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

You guys make great points about the water save crystals. Glad I didn't spend my money. Next time I plant a container garden I might get some though. I am always looking for ways to save water. I have so many gardens that I use way more water than my share. Bad ecology and also bad for my check book. This year I dediced that I was going to let my plants suffer a bit more than they did last year. Next year I may even try some water saving amendments.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I love them. I use the polymer type and often put some in the bottom the hole where I plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, annual bulbs that have to be dug in the fall, etc. It also helps with transplanted plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.