What is the correct pronunciation of 'peony'?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

is it pronounced pe (long e sound) a (short a or o sound) nee (long e sound) and the accent on the 1st syllable?
or is it pe (long e sound) o (long o sound) nee (long e sound)? accent on the 2nd syllable? I know a woman who is just so knowledgeable about them but pronounces them the 2nd way I have here. I have never heard them that way. Just curious.
This same woman woke up one morning last summer to find her big gorgeous yellow peony that she had transplanted from her Grandmothers yard missing and a big hole in her front yard where the plant lived for years.

This message was edited May 19, 2006 10:40 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pronunciation of "Peony" Plants and Word Origin: The standard pronunciation is pee'-uh-nee (accent on the first syllable). However, many people place the accent on the second syllable: pee-oh'-nee. As is often the case with anglicized versions of Latin words, rulings on what should be the standard pronunciation seem rather arbitrary. The word derives from the Latin genus name, Paeonia, which, in turn, derives from a figure in Greek mythology, Paeon (see below). If you want to be safe, stick with the standard pronunciation: pee'-uh-nee.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

now, that's what I call an answer. I had never heard it pronounced any other way but the "standard" pronunciation. Interesting. thank you.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I say PEE -OH-NEE. Its the olde world pronunciation of it. Its how my parents said it, most people here say PEE-A-NEE.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Everyone I've ever heard say it has said PEE-OH-NEE.

Of course only my sister has any, I haven't succumbed to this addiction....YET!!! :)

Dee

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I can't believe someone came and dug her peony up! I've never heard of such a thing. That's awful.

Gwen

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

She said the hole was so wide and deep that it must have been someone who knew enough to get as much root as possible. Now I want to know how Queen (England)pronounces this plant.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well you can always write and ask her!

go to this website: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp
and click on Contact Us at the bottom of the home page and you will get a variety of ways to contact members of the royal family - you can actually contact thru the website.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

The old folks called them pineys

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Of course, a dear Canadian gardener would have her website.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

From the time I was little, I heard it pronounced it "pee-nee."

Anastatia:
That's one of the newest lows in human behavior I've heard of--taking a flower or two is one thing, but an entire bush!?! Criminal!

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

I will forever call them pineys. A small tribute to my beloved grandmother, she could grow anything and made the best pies you ever tasted too.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

The pineys were also called piney roses and on Decoration Day (what Memorial Day used to be called by many) folks would take their cut peonies or bush to plant on the graves of their family members. That is why you see in old rural cemeteries so many white or pink peonies

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! Thanks for the cool info- I never knew that!

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

We've always said PEE-uh-nee in California. Last month I visited family in Massachucettes, and when I admired my uncle's peonies, he was telling me how much he loved growing pee-OH-nees. It's the first time I heard it pronounced that way.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

you say tomatoe, I say tomaato. . .

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I have never heard it pronounced Pee OH nees until this thread. I grew up in Illinois, and it was PEE uh nees.

It amazes me that people would steal plants, but this isn't the first time I've heard of such a thing. Makes me wonder how many pretty flowers I should put in my front yard.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

whoever stole that yellow peony had to know how expensive they are.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I have only heard it called PEE-OH-NEE. And my I first heard it called Pee-Nee from my pool guy.
Funny, I always wondered what the correct pronunciation . Warsh/Wash!! LOL

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

I say pee-oh-nee as does my mom but I'm pretty sure her mom (my grandma) says pee-uh-nee.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.