Vase for Iris

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm brand new to Iris. Is there an Iris vase or something that allows to show the beautiful flowers inside without cutting off the next bud? This is probably a stupid question but I love taking flowers to my office where I can enjoy them longer. Any advice?
Kathy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Not a stupid question at all Kathy. I bring in iris, especially the fragrant ones. I cut them just when the first flower has opened. Some cultivars open better than others. I use a cylindrical glass vase about 3" across and 12" high and put pretty pebbles in the bottom of it. You can get vases like that from some florists. Pebbles are usually availabe at garden centers. Of course if you want to have a lot more stalks you'll need a larger vase. The pebbles hold the stems up straight. Just be sure to get the wilted flowers off as soon as they go. Some of the darker ones can stain surfaces after they get too far gone. I use the pebbles for my dahlias too. They work like a charm.

Schreiner's has even started selling cut iris to be delivered. Of course only in growing season.

Enjoy bringing your iris in. It's a wonderful way to enjoy them.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

If I cut them when the first flower opens, will the remaining buds open? See - I'm REALLY new to this Iris fetish.

kathy

Gwynn's Island, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes, Kathy, the remaining buds eventually open. Just pinch off the spent ones and the others keep on blooming!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sometimes all of the buds won't bloom but I've found that it's only one or two when they do that. It's certainly worth it. They last a very long time once cut.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

wonderful ! Thanks to both of you.
kathy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Enjoy!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISCONTINUE-SILVER-CREST-FAN-VASE-FENTON-CRYSTAL_W0QQitemZ7415856938QQcategoryZ21QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
My old neighbor lady had two fan vases that she called her glad and iris vases. I wanted to get one so badly when she went to live in the home but missed her auction. There's quite a few fan vases on ebay but I haven't seen any quite like her's, they were quite long, maybe 10 to 12 inches. The smaller fan vases work great for irises, just do the marble thing doss mentioned above. I like how the fan shape shows the blooms. The small, flat topped ones would be great if you only want to cut off the top bloom and you only have a short stem. Fill the vase quite full with marbles then, and ENJOY!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never seen vases like this. Thanks for the liink and I'll try to find one. I'm one that hates to leave the beautiful flowers outside when I spend most of my day at work. on weekends I work 12-15 hours a day outside to "play" with my flowers and want to enjoy them inside during the week when I have 1 hr to water and play between dinner/laundry, etc.

thanks so much
k

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You are welcome. Just don't bid on the one I'm watching. LOL just kidding. Sure wish I could find the kind my neighbor had. Gonna have to go antique shopping, I guess. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.