Today's Bounty

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's what's left of todays bounty.. The green tomatoes and squash got fried up for supper..Forgot to take the pics til now.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Larkie,
WOW! You've already got produce??? You are sooo blessed. I had no idea there was that much diff in our growing zones. It will be several more weeks/mos before I get anything.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

yummm

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep,
Here on the farm we are already picking squash, tomatoes, peppers, cukes and eggplant..Although we farm about 900 acres, I still have to grow some here in the yard, lol..These are from my yard..

Larkie

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Larkie,

GOOD JOB! I like your variety. Goodness I am in zone 8B and our tomatoes are still green! I guess you started before us? Do you grow food on the rest of the 900 or what? Nice that you have a garden, I find in my area no one is really interested in gardening veggies. We offer excess to neighbors and 1/2 have said they don't eat squah or cukes or....etc. But of course everyone wants tomatoes and the sweet corn. But the sweet corn variety we are growing only gives 1-2 ears per stalk so we've been able to eat that up ourselves. Hehe. Sure am tired of yellow squash though. WOW! That's been our biggest producer.

Aimee

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Aimee,
We grow collards, turnips, and mustard greens year round.. The other vegetables, sweet corn, okra, peppers,peas, butterbeans, tomatoes, eggplants, watermelon and canteloup are seasonal..We grow peanuts, grain corn, soybeans and wheat..We tend to grow some of it all.. Our family farm has been here for about 70 years..It gets harder each year.. My husband and his brother are the last 2 farmers in the family.. It is really sad..Not many of the younger ones want to do this kind of work..It is just too hard and very little money..Although, I could never imagine any other life..

Larkie

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Larkie,

Oh how we need families like yours. I wish there was some way to make a farmers life easier! I guess it's our fault....buying at the big stores instead of farmers markets and trying to live on what's in season instead of demanding tomatoes in December, LOL. I'm guilty! I know there is a lot of people in the farm life forum who talk about the produce they sell, have you been over there? Wealth of info. I dream of having a small farm, not as the sole means of income but on the side. We had to buy a stick of horseradish at the store the other day, GROW HORSERADISH, the thing was 6 bucks! HA!

Aimee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.