ground covers!!!!!!

La Grange, IL

Please help,
I am in a s.w. suburb of Chicago and have a wonderful small wildflower woodsy area. However next to this area is a slope that goes down to the street and driveway. My problem is what can I use as a groundcover that will not be too invasive to the wildflowers. Another point is being able to blow the leaves out of the area in the fall. We have lots!! of trees . Thanks daffyd1l

(Zone 6a)

You could try Ajuga. It can be invasive but is easy enough to pull up and would be fairly easy to blow leaves off of.
Hope this helps :)

Steve

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Pratt's Black is an interesting ground cover. Either you love it or hate it. I am liking it a lot. Grows in sun or shade, small ferny leaves, turn brown in sun. I have it in my heather garden and around bulbs, very low growing and spreads quickly. So before you get some make sure you REALLY like it as I don't think you could get rid of it. Very shallow roots so doesn't interfer with plants. Lots of times I recommend it for doggie yards, easy clean up, no mud and no mowing. Works well, if you like it.
Rebecca

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

rebeccanne, Pratt's Black sounded perfect for me, too, 'til you said "I don't think you could get rid of it," since I've got lots of things left here by others that fit that category....ugh.... I didn't find it in the plant files - do you have another name?

Don't plant ivy, daffyd1l. Check your state's invasives list (I learned about this here at DG just recently; our place has lots of invasives!) Maybe ask in a forum for your region - would that be central midwest gardening? Or upper midwest? Good luck!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

The name is cotula. There are several kinds. I am not sure it would be hard to remove, the roots are shallow. But it really spreads. I really like it for covering bare spots and in the sun its brown and you don't really notice it, it looks like mulch.
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.