groundcover

La Grange, IL

I have enjoyed reading the messages and looking at the pics! I am a new member. What I like most is caring for two small native plant areas. One in Il. western suburbs of Chicago and the other in Mo. s.e of St. Louis. I can tell that some of you have the same surprise and joy in finding native volunteers in your gardens, and pulling out garlic mustard.
The main subject I am interested in now is a slope of land that faces the street. I need a ground cover that will look neat, not invasive and not so tangeled that I can't blow the fall leaves out of it.
I'd appreciate any suggestions! thanks daffyd1l

(Zone 6a)

Welcome to DG!

Steve

Cincinnati, OH

I like wild lingonberry. It is shiny, hardy and 9 cm and produces 2 crops per year. The commercial European lingonberry is a little larger. You may need a phytosanitary certificate. My Bovees plants arrived in bloom. They are self-sterile. You will need plants from two different seeds for berries. The other parent could be a blueberry, cranberry or European lingonberry.
Go here and scroll down to shrubs and sub-shrubs:

http://bovees.com/comp%20plant%20for%20cat%200304_doc.htm
Vaccinium vitis-idaea var. minus, [Ericaceae] Mountain Cranberry An evergreen spreading mat with many oval glossy dark-green leaves, clusters of small pale-pink flowers and dark-red berries.
Z2-8/PT/S/EV 3 1/2" $4.50

I bought a larger plant here last year. I think it was grown from seed. It has not bloomed yet.

http://www.hillkeep.ca/ts%20V-Z.htm#VACCINIUM
Vaccinium vitis-idaea var. minus Lodd. Dwarf Lingonberry, Rock cranberry, Moss berry. Appealing all year but irresistible in bloom in April, this dense little evergreen Lingonberry is native to eastern North America from New England north. Zone 2.
Pot (1 gal. / 6"). In Canada C$10.00; elsewhere US$8.00.

La Grange, IL

Thanks to both of you.UUallace, you have given me some homework to do !! I am looking forward to it.

thanks again, daffyd1l

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Not that it's on a slope, but I have Lonicera prolifera, yellow twining honeysuckle. I would think it would work. Not aggressive or invasive at all. Like sun, part sun, morning sun...adaptable is what I was told.

Terry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.