Grass for Shade???

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I was wondering if anyone has had success grwoing perennial grass that grows in the shade? If so, what kind is it? I am in zone 5.

Thanks.

Megan

Thornton, IL

How much shade? Karl Foerster feather reed grass and switchgrass both tolerate partial shade. However, grasses don't flower as well in shade.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Prarie, It has some sun, but I consider it more "shade" than anything. Interesting to know about Karl Foerster and Switchgrass, I didn't knw that as I don't really know too much about grasses.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Go for Hakonachloa macra (Japanese Forest Grass). My favorite grass. Miscanthus sinensis variegatus does decent in some shade. There are several others that do well in semi shade like Sweet Falg varieties (Acorus) and sedges (carex).

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Chasmanthium latifolium
Luzula varieties
Sesleria varieties
Carex varieties

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd pick Phalaris arundinacea (Gardener's Garters). "Feesey's Form" is particularly pleasing.

But it does spread, not rampantly, but you WILL have more as time goes by. Likes moisture too and isn't terribly picky about soil but appreciates an enriched one.

Robert.

Thornton, IL

Robert - You're brave! LOL Last year, a friend and I were looking at WF's pairing with allium bulbs, very pretty! Come to think of it Megan, if you just have a little shade and you're watering, just about any grass does pretty well. Almost my whole yard has some shade, part of the day, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.