What Clematis Is This?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have forgotten the name of this beauty

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Mermentau, LA(Zone 8b)

It looks a lot like Clematis pitcheri to me.

Rosemary

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I think it is Clematis crispa
http://www.homeofclematis.net/crispa.html

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I grow the pitcheri, crispa, and texensis...

Your flower is too red for pitcheri, and crispa are white with faint lavender rim...

It looks like texensis. Actually, it looks like one of hybrids, rather than the straight species...
Try looking up 'Princess Diana', or 'Duchess of Albany'

Otherwise, if it is a seedling, and not a purchased leatherflower, it could be a cross of some kind...

I know some of my seedlings that were crosses of pitcheri and duchess of albany looked kinda like that color...
-T

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I agree that it's a texensis, but I hope it's not Di. I just planted one and the picture I saw of it was a bright pink with a red reverse. I don't think it is the Duchess either.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

posted the wrong picture

Thumbnail by melvatoo

Yes...THAT one is definitely pitcheri...
(was that one from me?)
-T

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I think it came from Chalk Hills...

If it is one you purchased, then it might be rooguchi?

Pitcheri and rooguchi have a similar flower, but rooguchi's flower is bigger and on a smaller plant that doesn't climb as tall as pitheri.

Without seeing the foliage/habit, or knowing how large or small that bloom is, it would be hard to tell between the two.

Mermentau, LA(Zone 8b)

Seedpicker, I don't think there are many "straight" species left in commerce if the grower, and I am one, has more than one species in any genus and they grow their stock from seed. Even a fanatic about stuff like this, like me, will grow more than one native clem, for instance, and thus inadvertantly obscure the very species we mean to preserve. The insects and other pollinaters simply have no clue about how we humans treasure our "point-in-time" (heh - from a paleontological view) gardening and how we want to preserve a species as it is at the moment we fall in love with it. And I do go far into the wild to collect my seed, but so do the plants if they are loved by our wildlife. The birds and the insects travel much more easily than we when they seek their food and thus naturally pollenize the species they fancy whether we want them to or not. The apparant plethora of Asclepias in Calhoun Co TX is a great example. The peppers do the same thing as the Clematis here in Texas, as do particularly, the Agaves and the Yuccas as well as many other many other species..

Despite our natural human arrogance about the effect we have of world ecology, the pollinators seem to have the greatest impact. Global warming indeed....

I'm not really that disappointed when this chance hybridization among species happens as we, the humans I mean, are also a part of nature and its natural workings (in spite of what one reads in ecology and environmental journals), and so it is sort of "natural selection" that propels the most loved plants by humankind IN COMMERCE to be in front of our faces. I believe that what happens in nature is far beyond our human control. You must simply trust that the insects and the birds will certainly do a much better job of it than you, and that the species itself will develop according to its own plan. And you can trust that it WILL change, in spite of what you do to keep a species at some point in time you choose.

I am, of course, horribly disappointed when I get a plant that I think is a species I've seen described, and it is marketed as such and it turns out to be a natural hybrid. C'est la vie, though. All part of wonderful gardening fanaticism, huh?

Rosemary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.