US National Arboretum Photos

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I did post this on the trees and shrubs forum but there are several Asian Maples in the 490 Pictures so I'll post here too. They're all in alphabetical order. Conifers, Bonsai, Acer's, Azaleas - mainly. Photographed May 1 - May 4, 2006.

Dax

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Cultivar/US%20National%20Arboretum%20May%202006/

(When you click on a photo - the name will appear as a long string. For example: AcerpalmatumseiryuGotelliCollection.jpeg - And sometimes the whole name doesn't appear. It's the best I can do folks! Enjoy!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks so much Dax. I could, and probably will spend a lot of time on your photobucket site. Much appreciated. And wonderful photos.

Helpful too. I had no idea that my Koto No Ito would get that wide. Thought that it was a small upright tree! Maybe in 30 years huh?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree really nice ...but I will NEVER live to see mine as big as many of those ..it would be interesting to KNOW how old they are ...but the climate there is a bit more temperate than here and much more so than up your way Todd thats for sure... so I figure ours will NEVER get that big PERIOD ...still they are NOT youngsters ...thats for sure!!! David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow is the right word...very nice pics and a good reference for mature trees. I will have to go back and look again later. You are going to get some traffic on that link!

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm a plant nut! Enjoy it all. There's several other fantastic phographed collections of conifers at my photobucket account, as well. The Harper Collection being another very beautiful setting for conifers only.

Enjoy an internet-style vacation on me!

Best Regards,

Dax

This once again is another link to my photobucket homepage:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Cultivar/

Later...

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Dax, I haven't had the time yet to go through them, I can see it will be a several hour tour to do it justice...the ones i have seen so far are amazing.

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

It'd take ya a day to go through the entire collections.

Enjoy!

Dax

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Dax,
Those pictures are great, a lot of favorites! I'll be on the lookout for a few.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

The leaves of Acer palmatum 'Sanguineum' are fantastically bright yellow and very small like the size of 50cent piece. I was extremely attracted to that one.

Even though Zone 7 there, there was still dieback on just about all the palmatums, and one in particular that was extremely large/old that had none, and was not a 'Emperor I', was: 'The Bishop'. (Photo to follow)

Just some notes I took.

Later...

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Acer palmatum 'The Bishop'

Thumbnail by conifers

Where is the National Arboretum? Is it in DC? Sanguineum is great ! I am trying to get some interesting evergreen trees and shrubs to go around or between my new roses. I think I bought and planted 28 this year so far. They are spread around the property, but I would like to frame out some and make things interesting for winter.
I haven't checked out the second pics yet as I need to get to bed, but if you have any suggestions feel free.
Thanks,
Nikki

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Heya Nikki, (Washington D.C.)
These are great

Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' aka 'Lace'
Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'
Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'
Fagus sylvatica 'Purple Fountain'
Fagus sylvatica 'Red Obelisk'
Fagus sylvatica 'Dawyck Gold'
Fagus sylvatica 'Black Swan'
Picea glauca 'Pendula'
Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
Ginkgo biloba 'Princeton Sentry' or 'Fastigiata' or 'Magyar'
Acer platanoides 'Stand Fast'
Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'
Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'
Pinus mugo 'Amber Gold'
Picea abies 'Weeping Blue'
Pinus parviflora 'Fukai'
Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'
Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea'
Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana'
Fagus sylvatica 'Tortuosa' & 'Tortuosa Purpurea'
Acer circinatum 'Pacific Fire'
Acer shirisawanum 'Autumn Moon'... :)
Stewartia pseudocamellia
Metasequoia glyptostoboides 'Ogon' aka 'Gold Rush'
Pinus bungeana
Acer griseum
Cedrus deodara 'Aurea'
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' - more than one clone in the trade - one's more golden, the other more sulfur (duller) golden.
Deciduous Azaleas
Blueberries
Snowberries
Viburnums
(too much on my mind)..............

Dax

Do you have a quick link for me to look these guys up, I'm having trouble. My computor savvy is lacking. Thanks sooo much, I have seen your great assortment of evergreens in your landscaping somewhere on DG, and was impressed, so I'm psyched about your suggestions.

Ok, I'm not a total idiot, I found most of them........very cool! I am excited about vertical slender, interesting textures. So many trees so little money to spare! Where do you buy your trees and shrubs?

Oh yeah, interesting bark, and also love weeping shapes.

oooh I looove this one........
Fagus sylvatica 'Tortuosa' & 'Tortuosa Purpurea'
http://woodyplants.nres.uiuc.edu/plant/fagsyto02

This message was edited May 23, 2006 10:21 PM

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow Nikki - you've done well!

I buy (99%) from Stanley and Sons Nursery (wholesale) in Boring, Oregon. I developed a friendship with them years ago and have been able to find just about anything with this outfit.

I say you've done well because as far as I know, Rich's Foxwillow Pines is the only nursrey in the country offering Picea abies 'Weeping Blue'. I saw it while visting the nursrey and just about dropped off a load in my pants. Stunning can only describe this plant.

Check out these photos to Fagus sylvatica and this website in general:
Coenosium Gardens - many photos, interesting plants. I also order from these fine folks.

Dax

http://www.coenosium.com/text800/fagus_sylvatica.htm - His photos of 'Tortuosa' are out of this world!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dax, I wanted to thank you. The photo of the Koto no Ito has convinced me that I have to move mine. It's only been in the ground since fall of 2004 so the sooner the better. It's already 7 feet tall and getting wider than I expected and crowding it's space. But it should be happy in the new place it will get this January when I transplant it.

Doss

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Good - good Doss, you're most welcome. Free-range growing in my opinion (with corrective pruning when needed) is the way to go. It still amazes me when I see new trees, especially like a Bald Cypress planted right beneath a telephone wire. You know?

Have a wonderful summer,

Dax

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Arggg, yes I know. Pollarding drives me crazy and also clipping a. palmatum like a shrub in a ball. I've made just a ton of mistakes planting my trees but I'm moving three of them this winter and taking out a crabapple that a landscaper friend suggested. I wasn't feeling well and didn't check up on all of this stuff. "You can keep it under control" they said. Well, just try and try to keep a Sango Kaku under 8 feet. Can't be done.

Also the sites that say that the trees will be 10 feet in 10 years and don't bother to mention that they will be 20 in 15.

Sorry to rant.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think your area is an exception as there are others on the east and west coasts...most of us have "under achievers"...and will never see any of ours become Doss-like ;>0 David ...yes you for your area should take site growth projections with a grain of disbelief!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.