Ants on Japanese Maple

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

I have a pretty japanese maple in the back yard which this morning is being eaten by ants. Did a little research and found that if there are ants, there are often aphids....which looks like it might be the case.

My husband sprayed all our ornamental trees (including this one) yesterday with Monteray (spinosad) for the awful winter moth caterpillar problem we have here in Southeastern Mass. Looks like the caterpillars that were on it are dead, (yeah!), but the ants are chomping away. I'm guessing if I get rid of the aphids, that the ants will go away, right?

Any suggestions? Should I spray it again with something else? Can I do that so soon after spraying with spinosad? Any suggestions on what I should use?

This is a beautiful little tree and I hate to see it being slowly (or quickly actually) eaten!

Thanks,

Kara

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hose it down with a strong stream of water from your garden hose. This will wash off the aphids, which lack the means to climb back into your tree. Once the aphids are gone, the ants will lose interest.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.