Jm's...for the addicts out there

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

If you live on the east coast or mid west and are looking for Jm's... Della has just gotten in a load of Jm's in stock TODAY... all 4+ years around 70$ plus $10-20 shipping and packing ( approx pls check!!) 65 differnt cultivars and as I said all larger trees. She is a great resouce and honest and packs em like a mac truck ...will email before purchase pics of any she has that you are interested in ..the exact one she will send you... NO I do not work for her but she is a small etailer and honest and I can absolutly recommend her if you are looking for something differnt and larger and don't want a ebay twig or something standard at loews or HD or your local nursery is like mine and has NADA ( unlike Doss who is spoiled from over availability BTW ;>)!!! David
contact her directly at:

http://nurserygirl1.tripod.com/index.html

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Indeed I am spoiled. Too many trees too little time! And too little space.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I just inquired after an 'Omureyama'

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi largosmom,

Correct spelling is 'Omurayama'.

I just got one from another source - shipped from Oregon to Illinois (70 pounds and 10 gallon) for 105 bucks even.

Here's what I got for the money:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Cultivar/My%20Landscape%202006-2007/?action=view¤t=AcerpalOmurayamaMay200610-gal.jpg

Dax

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Nice tree dax I bought mine last summer and it is more multi branched but similar size...gives a totally differnt look...both syles are nice IMHO one more tree like one more bushy...just like the willows they are suppose to look like there are many differnt types (If you visit any midwest stream you'll find willows everywhere and they come in styles in the "wild") !!! David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I've had 'Omure yama' (this is how Vertrees spells it) for 4 years. My plant was grafted low, is also multibranched and has created a fountain effect rather than strongly weeping like yours. Other than the leaves, you would hardly say they were the same plant!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd you said "HAD" did it kaput on ya???...I do agree mine is probably like yours and looks VERY differnt. mine also IS low grafted but so does Dax's. I think who ever he bought his tree from kept one main branch ...staked it and deep six everything alse that grew below 18"-24" AND Unless he again stakes his and manipulateds the height upwards with just one of those top weepers it looks like he will have the top of his tree look like ours towards the bottom with long weeping branches since there seems to be no top leader on his tree. I have staked about 4 of my long branches so mine will grow taller and hopefully each one of those will eventually branch out also WE SHALL SEE!!!...David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I said "I've had" NOT "I had"...Omure yama is looking fine. My branches are arching upright with droopy tips...much more spreading effect than Dax's which has a habit more like Waterfall from the pic.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

mine tends to be just more arching but the branches are LONG and not thick yet ,,,thus my idea of training it a bit more upright but this is only it's second summer in the ground and it really hasn't taken off yet I would expect next summer will be the start of big growth periods for it as has been the case with many of my otherJm's ...I don't fertilize so they take a bit of in the ground time to "take off" David..Oh sorry for the misread I was skimming and see now you had I've had ...my bad!!!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

In looking at vertrees book his pic looks more like Dax's tree but his description more like mine ..as i said it's probably a product of staking and training ...David

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Will somebody please pick a tense and stick with it :) I am waiting for Della to update her site so I can window shop.

David, maybe Della should put you on the books for all the business you drum up for her. Are you on the ground floor of some maple pyramid scheme? :)

Bill

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yah ground floor ...no I just like helping out new business folks who i feel are honorable and are struggling to get going...I have found some but not many BTW...some just don't know how to do e-biz and others well just jerks..I have had good luck with John Herter too ...on his WS not his ebay stuff...which is well.... ebay stuff ;>)...kind of a pass it foward sort of thang!!! Yah I have Della's new list but if you email her she'll be glad to send it to you ...I don't want it to look like I'm ghost advertizing for her ...BIG DAVE might kick me out of here ;>) David

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Just giving ya a hard time David. I'll plug her whenever I get the chance as the Aconitifolium I got from her this spring was great, as was the customer service.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I like the idea of a pyramid scheme for JM's the last few folks get russian olives or the dreaded Illinois mulberry or speading bamboo the three devil plants in my "book" HA !!!! David

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm seconding David's recommendation. I bought my first mailorder/online maples from Della a couple of months ago & they were gorgeous & packed impeccably. So when I saw his post, I immediately emailed Della for a list & shortly, I'll be receiving 2 new beautiful trees to fit into my yard. I selected Shigitatsu Sawa & Germaine's Gyration-I don't know how I was able to narrow it down, because she has so many great trees, but these are the ones I chose & I can't wait to put them in my garden...Thistle

Don't wait for the update, email her for info. Sorry if I mis typed...misstyped, miss typed....well, you know what I mean! My Omure Yama, which I have seen spelled Omureyama and Omurayama as well, has been purchased. I have requested she allow me to post a photo for you to see. It is a lovely small tree that will want some shaping as it grows to get the shape I am looking for. I have several locations I am looking to put maples on my landscaping plan, so I'll be moving them around to see which ones like which spots and look best in them. As it is 21" high according to Della, this is a low grafted tree. I hope I picked correctly. I'm sure it will sort out and as I am keeping it in a container for at least this year, I have time to deal with finding a high graft if for some reason I don't like it after it gets here. I have a feeling that won't be an issue, however. I haven't met one yet that I did not like.

Laura

Della gave permission for me to post her pics, so these are copywright to her. Thanks, Della! I am looking forward to receiving it later this week.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

Photo number 2

Thumbnail by largosmom
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Nice lookin' tree largo really healthy lookin' Now if you wanted a "dax" tree you'd take the smaller right branch off ( wait til mid summer or fall) and everything below that point and stake tthe larger let main stem with a bamboo rod ...in about 3-4 years it would most likely look like dax's ... Since the branches on his are also not long you'd have to kepp them trimmed ... I am NOT suggesting you do this... yours looks JUST FINE but proving a point that his tree has been trained that way but I think JM's are nice in any form but DEAD...Both Dax's and your trees although differnt are BOTH rerally nice and examples of how differnt a cultivar can look David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The smaller right branch is NOT the really small one ...but the one at the V sorry wasn't clear!!! ;>0 David

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I buy 99% of my plants from Stanley and Sons Nursery in Boring, Oregon. They are wholesale and mimimum's must be met, but nothing too much.

Largosmom,

Nice tree you're getting. However it's spelled, it will gain upright heigth eventually unlike 'Waterfall' which grows much lower and spreading. It's really a stunning Acer palmatum with the weeping effect of a Japanese Weeping Cherry, for example.

Here's a 'Waterfall' and a few of my recent favorites I photographed May 1 - 4 at The US National Arboretum:

Acer palmatum 'Waterfall' - The Gotelli Conifer Collection - May 06

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Superb!

Acer palmatum 'Abigail Rose' - (Gotelli) May 2006

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

'Abigail Rose' (Foliage Close Up)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Extremely impressive:

Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom' - (Watnong Conifer Collection) May 2006

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Acer palmatum 'Ichigyoji' (Foliage - Then Form)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Acer palmatum 'Ichigyoji'

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Acer palmatum 'Ichigyoji' - Planted 1970 - Gotelli Collection

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Color, small almost tiny, beautiful bright golden leaves. Nobody should not have this one.

Acer palmatum 'Sanguineum'

And I could go on and on, but I'll leave you guys with a very interesting and very flat and wide spreading cultivar of Acer palmaum which when I first saw it immediately scribbled in my notebook (flat for hardiness) - Acer palmatum 'Kiyohime' - (Asian Collection in pretty deep shade)

---Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Leaf Detail 'Kiyohime'

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers

Wait till I get a chance to get some pics of one of my other JMs this weekend. LOL, I really need help with shape on that one. It is pretty crooked. Imagine a tree angled into an "L" with one long branch sideways and several smaller branches off that...it is a bit odd, but I have in mind a bit of a "bonsai" shape for it, just not sure how to shape it from here. I keep walking around it and trying to decide if/what needs to be trimmed.

When I get the tree from Della, I'll post more pics. I do like shaping my trees a bit if they need it. Eventually, when it gets big, I would like that upright/weeping form, but I realize it will take awhile. I have to get to know it a bit first.

I think my Shirasawanum Aureum 'Full Moon' needs a bit of opening up too, but I also need to spend some time getting to know the shape. It seems to want to spiral a bit.

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's palmatum 'Kiyohime':

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Laura I have done very little shaping of my trees .although I did do some doctoring to an older atropurpuriem last year got tired of hitting my head on the lower branches while mowing with my rider ;>0 And my wife wants me to thin out some branches on two clump Bloodgoods ( three trees in each clump) so you can see stuff in the background ...I told her ok this fall !!! After the leaves fall of course don't want to miss that fall color!!!... I have though been staking up alot of my trees to get them to grow more upwards ...I just don't want a bunch of "cousin Its" ...a few mounding JM'S is ok but most disectums like to do that ...the other extreeme is the alice in wonderland look ...da mushroom ...which is not my favorite ... I had corresponded with one guy who low grafts all his dissectums cause he can stake 'em and keep most of the lower branches and avoid that tell tale mushroom look ...I agree with him totally and have grafted most all my dissectums low but also have a few higher grafts.... but as with everything in life it's personal taste there is no RIGHT OR WRONG look for any Jm IMHO...it's how YOU like 'em to look so don't let anyone tell you what to do with your JM's .. shape or don't shape 'em to how YOU like 'em!!! David

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Laura,

Wait till December/January and I'll gladly graft your wood you'd be removing from the shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'. I'd really appreciate it, and I'll trade you for some fresh grafts of conifers or something like rooted conifers, etc, etc.

I have 100 understocks for this coming winter and while I have plenty of scionwood, I'd sure appreciate some scionwood from your 'Autumn Moon'.

Let me know if you'd consider.

Thanks,

Dax

I have tended in the past to fall for some with "interesting" shapes. I am a better judge as I see more quality older trees, so am learning to "see" what the tree would look like. Since I get mine so young, (so far), shaping has been mostly the taking off of a couple of the lower branches to get a more upright shape or to keep them out of my face walking down my path. My Coral Bark was very lopsided at first, it now has a pretty balanced shape after very careful pruning of one or two branches and cross overs for the first three years I owned it. As the trunk thickens up, and the branches fill out, I should have a relatively balanced tree now.

The shirasawanum is just solid with leaves all the way around, and I think it needs a little bit more airiness to it to show off the leaves and their layers a bit more. That will be undertaken very slowly and with study, however. The arboretum and field photos are very helpful, thanks!

Laura

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Laura, your new Omure Yama looks much like mine..low grafted with upright arching branches yet droopy tips. The fall colour was why I got it...spectacular blend of pink, orange and yellow.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

DAX,

As long as that is a good time to prune, I have no problem sending you some wood. You will have to tell me what the best way to prune and send it will be, however. Scionwood is "wood for grafting"?

If I am going to prune later, I suppose I can mark some branches to be removed with some yarn or something in the meanwhile, so I can still do my 'cogitating' on the eventual shape. Would need to know what size branch you would be interested in. This tree has pretty thick branches for its size, compared to most I have.

When all my visits this weekend settle down, I'll be taking and posting some new pics of my trees...too busy right now.

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll hook ya up Laura for the wood. I'm looking for 5 pieces about or less than the diameter of a pencil. They just need to be healthy, that's the only requirement. Lengths - any size with this diameter (I'd take more than less anytime!) but with at least 2 or 3 sets of buds. Shipping: wad up a small ball of wet papertowel and inflate a ziplock bag somewhat or all the way - just don't remove all the air.

Thanks a lot!

Dax

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I got my Jmaples from Della yesterday, wish I could find the cable for my camera-I got Shigitatsu Sawa & Germaine's Gyration, they are both incredibly beautiful trees! I am partial to green foliage, the Shigatatsu Sawa has lovely subtle variegation & the GG has amazing twisting form-I can't wait to place them in my yard-these are plants that will be lovely yearround, I just need to think about where I will place them...Thistle

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice Todd! Exceptional plant - and garden you got!

Nice thistle! - The 'Shigitatsu Sawa' is one for sure on my list and I've before heard of the 'Germaine's Gyration'. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the 'Germaine's Gyration' from Stella, if you get up and running:)

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.