Starting a new quilt

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

My niece wants me to make her small quilt for graduation. She understands that I only make hand made quilts and it takes me months (sometimes years) to make a quilt, so she is cool with it. I have been wanting to make a quilt using batiks in a dresden pattern for along time. I had seen a photo of a stained glass window (I think it was in the Sistine Chapel) years ago that reminded me of the Dresden pattern...only it was done with a sort of rose colored backround and red in the middle. Well, I'm finally going to get to make the stained glass quilt. It is a good thing I waited...back when I first concieved the quilt, batiks cost $12 a yard and were all hand dyed. Now you can get machine dyed batiks that cost $3-$4 per yard at Joanne.com. Here are the fabrics I'll be using. The background will be muslin and I will put a strip to match the border between each muslin square. The 'lead' for the stained galss will be hand embroidered feather stitches.

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!