Growing Lillies in the NW

Lakebay, WA

I have a corner of my backyard in direct sun that I was thinking of putting Lilacs against the fence and lillies in front mixed with some other stuff. I've seen lilacs do well here in Western WA but no idea how lillies would do. I really don't want to pot them and bring them in during the wintertime, but I usually throw down a bale of hay or two over my beds when everything goes dormant.

Anyone have good luck with lillies? I live in Lakebay WA if that makes any difference. Key penninsula, about a mile from the water, well protected with huge pine and cedar. I really am adverse to potting and wintering plants in my garage. Too heavy to move and I have enough junk in my garage as it is! Also any pests or plant diseases I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks for any input!
Marion

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Lillies should do great. I have many in a sunny border. I am sure there are some that are tender here, but you won't likely find any of those in the local nurseries and I would think they would be labled for another zone and sold as tender perenials. I say go for it.

jb

Lakebay, WA

Thank you jb. I had seen some selections for sale from Spring Hill Nursery. Some 3' tall, some 4-6' tall. The ones that had zones listed said they would be ok for zone 9, but I just wasn't sure. Most of our winters seem mild (I'm from TX so any winter is COLD!) though. I've been in the NW for less than 2 years, so I don't know the diseases and problems of the plants up here. I've had to deal with black spot and aphids on my roses up here, but that's no different from anywhere.

I've heard mixed reviews about Spring Hill and had a neutral transaction with them recently. It took them 2 months to get my order delivered. At the one month mark, I received 1 box, but not the 2nd of the lot, let them know, then weeks later contacted them again and threatened reversing charges and contacting the BBB. One week after that I received my order in full and the quality of the plants was much better than the first shipment had been. I don't know if that was just luck of the draw or they realized I meant business. Anyways, all 126 plants I ordered are in the ground (monumental task!) and I need to do some "before" pictures so I can be so proud in a year or two when things are nicely matured. My husband doesn't know why I bought from them and made fun of my bargain basement tiny plants, but I can't pass up a good deal!

I know I need to make a decision on the lilies soon, or I will have to wait until next spring.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

marion, I think you mean Roadside Nursery. They do have a great selection and nice stock but a little too pricey for me. Their address in the phone book says Belfair.

Oops, disregard! I posted to the wrong thread.

This message was edited May 18, 2006 1:05 PM

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Lillies do great here. But I would suggest checking DWD before buying.

Viv

Lakebay, WA

You are right on the name Katy. I passed a couple of nurseries and would have stopped at every single one of them but I had my son in the car. I should have named him Dennis the Menace LOL.

Vizz8 what is DWD?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

In my opinion it's really too late to purchase good quality bare root lilies. Your best bet is to buy potted, growing ones from a local nursery or order and plant your lily bulbs in the fall. You are not that far from a major lily grower, B & D Lilies (Port Townsend, they have online catalog). They are a little spendy though especially if you need a bunch. If you need a bunch, then Brent and Becky's and Van Engelen are excellent mail order sources.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

http://www.thelilygarden.com/

This is in Vancouver, Washington, they are a little more spendy than other places but it is local. Anyone ever visit this? I would love to.

I must say I agree with Pardalinum about Van Engelen; they really sell good quality but reasonable.And it is really late to be planting bulbs; I am surprised you can get any.

My experience with lilies is great success with Asiatics but Orientals is another story. They need very well drained humus rich soil.

Lakebay, WA

Well I guess then I will buy in the fall. I have 2 projects in midswing right now, my front side border which is about 80 feet long, 10 big rose bushes, dahlias in between; and my front bed which is 50 feet long, 8 feet wide, where I just put in 140 plants. The side yard needs a lot of love... the previous owners let the roses get very gangly and unkempt, but they are all 5 ft tall or better and doing very well with pruning. Not to mention a small herb garden in the back.

I need to get some before and after shots of the work. I work 50-60 hours a week plus around 20 hours in commute, but a little each day in the evenings is really paying off!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Garden Watch Dog....

Portland, OR

You can find potted lilies at garden centers, grocery stores and big box stores. I've planted many of them, even half dead ones bought cheap and they've done great for me with no special care.

You don't get cultivar names from the big boxes or grocery store floral departments but usually you do from nurseries. Left over Easter lilies are a bargain too and they do very well here.

I was at a nursery in Yacolt the other day that had a ton of potted Orientals and Asiatics all nicely labeled and well priced.

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

I've bought from B&D at the NWGarden Show (the hugest bulbs I've ever seen-Copper King, a very tall trumpet aurelian) and mail ordered lots from Brent & Becky's and Van Engelen; various kinds of trumpets,asiatics and orientals and crosses. Although many have been in pots ( I was working on a major drainage issue) I never brought any of them in in the winter and many have returned for multiple years. You could splurge on a few in pots for this year and start looking at the fall catalogs that are already out and tempting me. FWIW, I've had better results with fall planting than spring anyway.

Kyra

P.S. You might take a look over at the lily forum, where the real experts hang. Many of them are concerned about a mosiac virus outbreak, last time I looked.

Lakebay, WA

I'm heading to Loews today (my boss gave me a $250 gift card because I had a bad week). I'm going to see what they have already growing and pick up a whole list of other things. I visited Brent & Becky's and B&D websites and really liked what they had there, so I'm sure I will order some for fall delivery.
I will have to check out the lily forum! I hope the virus doesn't cross over to dahlias. My husband and I spent over $200 for a BUNCH of different dahlia bulbs from a grower in Snohomish and they are doing fantastic right now. It's like when you're a child and you KNOW Christmas is coming, but the tree is bare of presents. You can just TASTE the excitement that is soon to come!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.