Anyone know where I can purchase some Corn Gluten Meal?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a couple new beds, and want to add some Corn Gluten Meal, before mulching.

It works like Preen, to prevent weed seeds from germinating.

I've checked our local Grain Elevator in Brown City, MI, and they didn't carry it, nor did he have any idea where I could find it.

Anyone know of a source? My husband travels in about 12 counties for his job, so it doesn't have to be real close.

Kathy

Kalamazoo, MI

Hi Kathy,

I Googled it and found this:

http://www.mosesorganic.org/umord/brokerscoops.htm

I'm glad you asked, because we're thinking of using it too. It's also sold at English Gardens down here, according to another site.

Kristi

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the help Kristi.

I'm getting mixed reports on how well it actually works, apparently not as effective as Preen, but then I didn't expect to be as effective as a chemical. I think it's worth a try.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

It's also available from Gardens Alive, catalog or web. Sold as a lawn pre-emergent.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks kneff.

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

I talked to my friend Jill today and she works at the English Garden at 14 mile and Coolidge in Troy. She said "yes" they carry it. She also commented that it's one of those things that are more effective the more you use it. I forgot to ask how expensive it is.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the additional information sunnysky.

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Has anyone here used corn gluten meal on vinca minor? I have a bed that's weed infested and I'd like to use it to at least stop new weeds from germinating. Preen lists vinca minor as something that you should not use it on, so I wasn't sure if corn gluten meal would be bad for it too.

Thanks,
Rob

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I read in my local newspaper that Preen is coming out with a corn gluten product. I am not sure if it is on the market yet.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll be on the watch for it Cindy. Thanks

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

The organic preen is available everywhere.
I mentioned it in my column this week.

I gave some to to the folks in the community garden in Taylor to field test and they are very happy with it.

Corn Gluten is the main ingredient in it.

Heres a link that tells about it.

http://www.preen.com/newpreen/prdpreenveg/index.jsp

Paul

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Paul. I just emailed the Preen company with my question.

Rob

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Paul.

I see it's even available in Lapeer. A half hours drive for me, so not too bad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.