a naive question about leafing out

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Is it normal for my japanese maple to leaf out from the bottom of the tree up? Leaves are slowly emerging higher and higher up the branches but the plant looks a little odd. We got the tree last summer and it was fully leaved (is that a word?) and I have no experience growing them. Thanks in advance. I can supply a picture if that would make this question more clear.

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of one of the branches. I think the tree suffered from my not mulching it this winter. But it does apppear to be coming back...hence my question about the sequencing of leafing out.

Thumbnail by escubed
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

No not common but probably a product of cold whether or maybe snow insulating the bottom thus keeping it warmer ...I have seen this on MANY regular trees that have been kept in real cold storage and sent bare root but not usually the NEXT YEAR!!!...You are LUCKY most times when a JM does this the top is DEADER than a doornail and must be trimmed...Yes strange but I think it will be fine

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

My shirasawanum did that. See, the top leaves in this photo are still budding. It just finished recently.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.