catching up

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's rainy here today, which is ok as we have to go to town anyway. Stan has all the haying equipment ready to go and if things aren't too wet, will start mowing for haylage on Monday.

Well, we have 4 more puppies, and it is puppy crazy in the calf room. the calves are all outside or in the heifer barn, closer to the manure spreader, so the two mommas have all the space they want. Mitzi stole a puppy early in her delivery and Sadie has been in to nurse Mitzi's 4 if Mitzi isn't with them. Sadie's 10 are growing like crazy, and later when I remember to bring the camera upstairs, I have some nice pictures. They are moving around quite a bit now and Stan says she only nurses 4 or 5 at a time, so they have to be quick. But they all look well fed and healthy, so I don't think it's much of a problem. Probably we will start supplimenting with cow's milk and puppy food next week. They are 3 weeks old today.

Jessie has been so excited about the puppies that she asked me the other day if Pansy (her heifer) had had her puppy yet. We all laughed at her and she said, "Oh man, I've got puppies on the brain!" She'll be Klompen Dancing this weekend at the Tulip Festival and Tom will be marching with the junior band. He told me they don't have to march and play (he's first trumpet), they will stop for their song. I think Jess thought that was a little unfair, she has to sweep the street, Klomp and march and Klomp and wear wooden shoes the whole time. She will get to take them off to run in the kids' fun run, but it does make for a loong day - good for the calf muscles! Oh, and speaking af calves, Pansy had a bull calf which we sold and Jess gets the money to put in her college fund.

I promise to post the pictures later - really!
kathleen

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!