Louisiana Iris

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Is anyone growing them in Zone 5? Or colder? And what cultivars?

I went to the Lilac Festival in Rochester NY yesterday. They had a whole new area of iris planted two years ago, and I expected bearded. However they were all Louisiana, not in bloom yet, but doing extremely well.

I looked on the Louisiana Iris Society page, and it only says some cultivars are hardy up north.

I would love to get some, and hope someone up north can recommend named cultivars.

Thanks, Polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

OK---- so maybe no one in Z5 or colder is.

I emailed Greg at Iris City Gardens, and he responded:

"Hi Polly, all of the Louisianas should do well in zone 5. The key to growing
them is to keep them well mulched year-round."

So, I'm going to try them. The clumps I saw in Rochester were huge, and I know they only planted them two years ago.

Greg also said "Just not a well-known iris anywhere except Louisiana. It's native to Florida
also and people there just don't know about it...some of the species are native up to Minnesota..."

I'm going to make a trip back to Rochester when they're in bloom, to see how well they bloom.

I can't believe there is some type of iris I've been missing out on...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Polly, you have a lot to look forward to! I'm planning on planting them in the parkway in front of my house if the foliage stays nice this summer. All of the drainage from the hill I live in ends up in the parkway and I haven't had very good luck with keeping things alive there but too much water is a good thing for the LA's

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Doss,

I've seen lots of pictures, but have never seen one in real life. I bribed my husband with a Mexican Restaurant to go back and see them with me. He already spent 6 hours looking at Lilacs. Good guy.

But I just couldn't wait until next year to see them.

I can give them lots of water, we have natural springs here, and plenty of mulch. I was just worrying about them overwintering, but apparently not a problem.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm glad for you. They are quite large flowers. Not at all like siberians. I've never met a Japanese Iris so I don't know there. But I was happy with the size of the flowers. Apparently their one bad thing is needing to be divided fairly often. If you are into trading you can find them easily.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Isn't that funny. The Japanese Iris are so common here.

I definitely love to divide. As does my daughter. She is a Dentist, and has very strong fingers. She can take apart those Siberians like nothing.

Thanks for your input Doss, I'm really looking forward to getting into the Louisianas now.

I haven't done much trading, but will do more as I get something to trade.

Polly

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, until you have enough to trade, the LA's are pretty reasonable.

Enjoy!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.